We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thought We'd Rent a Jeep; Maybe Not

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roswell, Georgia
reviews: 12
Thought We'd Rent a Jeep; Maybe Not

We will be on Culebra for 3 nights and Vieques for 3 nights later in our trip. I had intended to rent a jeep while on Culebra, but now I'm having second thoughts.

We are staying in town and will be traveling with carry-on luggage only, so walking from the airport should not be a problem. We will arrive by late afternoon and will then have two full days on Culebra. The day we return to the mainland, we hope to make it to Zoni in the morning and depart mid to late afternoon.

We wanted to take the publico to Flamenco (and then hike to Carlos Rosario) on one day and then go to Culebrita the other full day. So we don't need a jeep either one of those days. It seems kind of silly to rent a vehicle on our departure day just to get to Zoni.

Can we get a taxi to Zoni and back after a visit in the morning for a few hours? I know it might be a little expensive, but I'm sure it should be cheaper than renting a jeep and we wouldn't have to hassle with the rental process.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
reviews: 29
1. Re: Thought We'd Rent a Jeep; Maybe Not

i think you should rent a jeep on your first day. go to zoni and carlos rosario. since you will have a car, you can go frm one to the other. the only thing you will lose is about 15 minutes. dont get stuck on locations. then the morning you leave, take the publico to flamenco then to the airport

Roswell, Georgia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Thought We'd Rent a Jeep; Maybe Not

Franki,

Do you think renting a jeep the first day makes sense if we can't get to Culebra until after 5 PM?

I'm not really sure how much time we'll have the morning of our departure back to PR. If we take the ferry from Culebra back to the mainland (our preference just for the experience), we'll probably try to get on the 1 PM crossing. Is it difficult to get on the ferry in Culebra on a Saturday afternoon? How far in advance would we have to be at the dock? Maybe it's really not worth the hassle and we should just fly. Thoughts?

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
reviews: 29
3. Re: Thought We'd Rent a Jeep; Maybe Not

Hi Deb

i have never taken the ferry to or from Culebra. I have only ever flown. except the one time years ago when I took the ferry from Vieques to Culebra.

But if it is similar to Vieques, I would say the 1pm ferry is a good shot. most people will be on the beach at that time of day. but, flying is always easier and faster.

i think it would be good to get the jeep on the first day. you will be able to go out that nighjt and drive around a little bit. but the big plus is being able to get out of the house and on the beach first thing in the morning. no waiting until the agency opens or doing paperwork. just get up and go!

4. Re: Thought We'd Rent a Jeep; Maybe Not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 06, 2014