We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
danvers
reviews: 26
mosquitoes

Read a review that included info. re. mosquitoes my husband hates them! they will ruin our vacation and everyone else's around us if there are a lot. Please give your honest opinion and advice thanks

Culebra
reviews: 11
1. Re: mosquitoes

Good evening,

The Caribbean is Tropical. Thus, there are mosquitos year round here. In the 6 months of the rainy season there are more. I never wear anything, however many folks do douse themselves with repellant sprays.

If you believe that mosquitos will ruin your holiday, it may be best to choose a different type of destination.

Best,

Terrie

Palmetto GH, Culebra

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
reviews: 29
2. Re: mosquitoes

MY not so humble honest opinion is to go north not south of where you live. try alaska. a nice cruise or something.

maybe Iceland. Denmark.

i think your needs will not be met in the tropics.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
reviews: 11
3. Re: mosquitoes

I would start taking Vitamin B Complex, it keeps the mosquitos away. Also Lavender oil, i put it on my socks . Ever since i've been using that I am fine, and they se to bite me like crazy

Rio Grande, Puerto...
reviews: 6
4. Re: mosquitoes

Even though there are mosquitos (as there are in many other places besides the Caribbean during this time of year) It does not need to ruin your vacation. There is a great article on Puerto Rico Day Trips about Dengue and Mosquitos with solid information on symptoms, prevention along with links to more in depth information and websites. (The article is from last year but the information would be the same) puertoricodaytrips.com/dengue-puerto-rico-20…

Armonk, New York
reviews: 74
5. Re: mosquitoes

I have been coming to PR for the last 5 years during most holidays etc and have recently bought a second home here. Mosquitoes are everywhere and certainly here as well.

However, in my travels here, I have been amazed at how few of the buggers there are compared to other places I have vacationed. I used to canoe in Northern Minnesota / Canada. There, a couple of the buggers would take you by the shoulders, drag you off into the woods and have a feast. In New Jersey, it is the state bird.

Note, I stay near the coast just below the rain forest where there is always a breeze. We leave the windows open all day, no screens. At 6 pm before dust when they come out we close the windows till 9, then reopen. Seldom have a problem.

The locals complain about them of course, but note a very low proportion of PR homes have screens - tells you something - and they have never experienced the Minn / Maine / NJ variety of the beast. It is a low order issue here.

Now ask me about the "no-see-ums" / mimis / sand fleas. For these keep the Off on you ankles if you are going to the beach and don't walk the beach at dusk when they like to come out. They are so small you can't see them but they are real ankle biters. These are the real pests of PR.

Tennessee
reviews: 4
6. Re: mosquitoes

I take vitamin B1 a month before we leave home and also the entire time I am in PR and have never gotten a bite. Here in Tennessee, they eat me alive.

Washington, DC
7. Re: mosquitoes

A note of caution:

I contracted dengue fever in Feb. 2011. I was told by the host of the Guest House where I was staying that I did not have dengue fever. All I can say is: What an idiot.

Symptoms; I had a temp of 103, the bones in my body ached everywhere, including my hands, and I got a very odd, red rash on my chest which did not go away for weeks. (I also had an a typical case and continued to get temps of 102 every 2 to 3 days for 6 weeks.)

Important to know: You can get dengue fever 365 days a year on Culebra. There are different types of dengue fever, and once you have had it, you are more susceptible to the other types, including dengue hemorrhagic fever (from which you can die.) The mosquitoes that transmit dengue fever are out during the day. Insect repellent with DEET is the only effective protection.

Further, the CDC currently identifies Puerto Rico and Culebra as in epidemic status with to dengue fever. (You can check this on the CDC website.)

Take precautions!

By the way, I have come back to Culebra twice since originally contracting dengue fever, so I am by no means attempting to vilify the island, but I wish I had known that it was such a serious issue and risk.

Washington, DC
8. Re: mosquitoes

I contracted dengue fever in Feb. 2011. I was told by the host of the Guest House where I was staying that I did not have dengue fever. All I can say is: What an idiot.

Symptoms; I had a temp of 103, the bones in my body ached everywhere, including my hands, and I got a very odd, red rash on my chest which did not go away for weeks. (I also had an a typical case and continued to get temps of 102 every 2 to 3 days for 6 weeks.)

Important to know: You can get dengue fever 365 days a year on Culebra. There are different types of dengue fever, and once you have had it, you are more susceptible to the other types, including dengue hemorrhagic fever (from which you can die.) The mosquitoes that transmit dengue fever are out during the day. Insect repellent with DEET is the only effective protection.

Further, the CDC currently identifies Puerto Rico and Culebra as in epidemic status with to dengue fever. (You can check this on the CDC website.)

Take precautions!

By the way, I have come back to Culebra twice since originally contracting dengue fever, so I am by no means attempting to vilify the island, but I wish I had known that it was such a serious issue and risk.

Colorado
reviews: 50
9. Re: mosquitoes

Actually, unless you go to Alaska during the winter (all 9 months of it) you may find even more mosquitos than in the tropics. After all they have only a couple of months to eat and breed and they pack a lot of that into their summer.

We used head nets and had little problem, but they can be a trial.

San Juan
reviews: 3
10. Re: mosquitoes

not all mosquitos carry dengue, the mosquito that carries the dengue is the Aedes Aegypty and it only survives in the subtropic and tropics areas, it is a very dark mosquito that has white spots in the legs, it is also blamed for the yellow fever