We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra ferry really that bad?

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Culebra ferry really that bad?

I have seen some posts that imply the ferry from Fajardo to Culebra is a pain. I am looking to save some money and am a bit anxious to fly......

How often are there problems with the ferry?

What types of problems have people encountered?

Is the ferry from Fajardo to Vieques any better?

75 replies to this topic
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Both are about the same. As with any puble transportation there can be problems. Get there early, take your time and enjoy the ride. People do it everyday, several times a day. It's not that bad.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

they both are public transportation, not a tourist only ferry or tourism oriented industry ferry so : expect delays, very overcrowded sometimes, that is it.

Edited: 6:59 pm, February 03, 2011
Level Contributor
192 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

The ferry tends to be a little more weather dependant than the plane, since waves can impact the ferry and not the airlines. But you can't really control that. The plane, if it's on time and you're coming through San Juan and you don't mind the expense is a LOT faster and easier. It's a beautiful flight. Only half an hour too, which makes it manageable for those of us prone to small plane anxiety.

Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

the ferry to culebra tends to be more crowded than the one to Vieques during major holidays as the locals in PR tend to choose culebra.

besides that, what has been written already is pretty accurate.

how do you plan on getting to the ferry. if you do not have a rental car already, getting there is an expense.

it may not be economical to take the ferry if it cost you $80 to get there.

food for thought

Windsor, CT
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Anecdotal...We had 4 people in our party so it was economical to taxi to Fajardo ($70) for the ferry to Culebra. We went over on January 17th and it was an hour late going over (3:00 ferry left at 4:00). We came back on the 24th and everything was on time. Not a pain at all if you're not in any rush. But flying is better...

Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Thanks much for your advice. I am visiting a friend who lives in San Juan, so we will have a car/ride to get to Fajardo. I think we would be taking the ferry on a Thursday morning and coming back to PR on Saturday afternoon/evening, so might miss some of the weekend rush getting to Culebra.

Thanks again!

Now I just have to decide between Culebra and Vieques..... :)

New York City, New...
8 posts
7. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

I just got back from Puerto Rico last night and took the ferry both ways to Culebra and it was SO easy. The forums on here I read about the ferry before my trip had me seriously scared and looking up flights, so much so that I am on here the morning after my trip to let people know that the ferry is great! But my friends and I took the ferry regardless and Im so glad I did. There were absolutely NO problems getting tickets, and we showed up 15-30 minutes before it left. The ferry was not overcrowded either. We sat up top in the open air area. So nice. Plus I get very very motion sick on boats, I took some Dramamine and was good to go. Didnt get sick at all. Could not have been more happy with the ferry and the fact that I saved a ton of money.

Also, Culebra is probably the most beautiful place I have ever been. Hand down.

Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Thanks so much for your reply heatjohns...... it makes me feel much better about the ferry. :)

New York City, New...
8 posts
9. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

No problem! I was really expecting this awful experience and was so glad it went so smoothly! If it helps, I took the 3pm ferry on Tuesday and took the 1pm ferry back on Saturday.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
10. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

No but if you come from San Juan it's alot easier just to fly into Culebra . Taxi from San Juan to fajardo is 70 plus tip and a few bucks for the ferry. The plane ride is around the same and alot quicker

Reply to: Culebra ferry really that bad?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted