We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

Portland, OR
reviews: 44
Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

Greetings! I visited JVD about 20 years ago during a month long sailing trip in the USVI's and BVI's but I haven't overnighted. I had good friends who lived on Tortola for many years and I used to visit them often. Every time my boyfriend and I go to an island somewhere in the world, I compare it to Tortola so we are heading there in November so he can see why I love Tortola so much!

We are well traveled and prefer slow travel as opposed to "Tuesday, it must be Paris, Wed, it must be Rome" kind of travel. We both work in fairly stressful jobs so use our holiday time to unwind and decompress and what better place to do it than the BVI's! We are 48 and 51 years old, enjoy meeting locals as well as other travelers, enjoy drinking and dining but not too crazy of a party scene.

I have read the forum posts up to about page 9 so have a lot of questions answered. I have also read reviews of every accommodation.

Seems it would be worth it to time our arrival to go to Ivan's for Thursday night and Foxy's for Friday night for their big dinner nights, if the info on this forum is up to date. Does Ivan's still have BBQ on Thursday and Foxy's a buffet on Friday?

We would like accommodations to be under $160 but I don't really see any options for that with the exception of Ivan's cottages. I saw photos and it seems the windows don't have screens. Can someone confirm that? I am caviar to mosquitos and get eaten alive no matter where I go but screens would definitely help.

I have read that many places do not have locks on the doors to your room. I need to bring my ipad so I can get some work done, if needed, since I am an independent contractor. I am concerned of the risk of having it stolen in an unlocked room. Should I be?

One thing I am considering is maybe staying Wed and Thursday night at Ivan's and then moving into town for 2-3 nights. Has anyone else done that? Is the vibe better at Ivan's or in town by the harbor? It has been too many years for me to remember.

It seems I recall that November on the BVI's is not too crowded. Kind of shoulder season before it gets busy for Christmas, correct? We haven't booked our flights but we are getting close. I am just hoping that we will still be able to get our choice of accommodations by the time we book our flight.

My boyfriend can put away beers. Would it be worthwhile to save some money by bringing over a case of beer from Tortola? I generally drink rum and club soda while in the islands so will probably just buy a bottle of rum to keep in our room.

Oh, and for our accommodations, we would love to have a microwave and small refrigerator. Or use of a bbq.

I will probably have more questions but this is a start!

We will have about 15 nights total so I think we will spend 10 on Tortola and then 5 on JVD.

16 replies to this topic
CO
reviews: 25
1. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

Eight of us stayed at White Bay Villas a few years ago. Highly recommended! We usually do a Captain Only Catamaran Charter but wanted to spend a little more time on Jost for my birthday...got a kiss from Russell Crowe at Foxy's and met Kenny Chesney.

Indianapolis, IN
reviews: 39
2. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

Hi Windjammer,

We were on Jost for 14 days in December, it by far is my favorite vacation spot ever. We totally distressed and love the island time. We did bring groceries from Tortola including beer, snacks, breakfast stuff as I like to hang out in the room in the morning. We stayed the entire time at Perfect Pineapple and we loved it. We are already planning our next vacation there. The room/door had a lock, we did not have a key. We had all kinds of electronic doo dahs as my husband had to check into work daily (ick). Wi Fi on the island is WONDERFUL! Cell service sucks if you are Verizon! We did not have dinner at Ivans but the BBQ was still going on in December. We did have Foxy's both Friday nights and loved the buffet, entertainment, etc. Cosairs is great food and fun too. If you have any other questions you can message me. Have a great trip.

I will tell you all about Dengue Fever if you want to hear the story:)

Portland, OR
3. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

ColoradoV, I had the impression that White bay was quite a bit more expensive so not in the below $160 range. I am definitely leaning toward Perfect Pineapple as long as they have a room available when we get our flight booked and figure out our dates.

We will bring some provisions and not worry about our electronics too much. Thanks!

Portland, OR
4. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

I just got an email back from WBV and indeed, it is much higher than $160 per night! $250 seems to be the lowest price in low season. Darn! Would have been nice to stay there but my pocket book won't allow it.

CO
reviews: 25
5. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

I would definitely check with Bonnie relative to rates at White Bay. They have seasonal specials and November is a time when those might be offered. We were there from October 30th to November 6th and were able to get off-season rates. We were also a larger group so that probably helped. White Bay has a variety of lodging types, but only some of them offer a/c. That is always a priority for me! Whatever you end up doing try and get to Virgin Gorda. My daughter was married there and it is spectacular--don't miss the Baths!

Portland, OR
6. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

It was Bonnie who emailed me the rates starting at $250. :-( Way too high for us. I did let her know it was over our budget, she replied asking what our budget was and I told her that PP and Seacrest were both within our budget and she replied back that she couldn't go that low.

Air fare from Portland is expensive plus we are going to need accommodations for 16 nights so really need something less than $160.

Edited: 5:14 pm, July 29, 2013
Buffalo
7. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

Thats exactly what happened with us. I emailed Bonnie about rates for Jan '14 and they were high. Told her it was out of my budget, she asked what our budget was, and I told her the rates were great at the Perfect Pineapple. Her response was that she couldn't go that low.

So needless to say we;re staying at the PP and are really looking forward to it

Portland, OR
8. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

I just got word back from Greg that they have availability during the time we expect to be there so it looks like I will go that route unless someone chimes in that there is a better place to stay for <$160 per night.

Indianapolis, IN
reviews: 39
9. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

you will be happy with perfect pineapple, great location, Greg and Hilda are friendly and helpful.

Manchester...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions

Another forum you might want to explore for really current information on JVD is Travel Talk Online. The forum participants there are more local - charter captains, ex-pats, residents - in other words, not just other tourists. They usually know what's going on there in real time and don't have stars in their eyes.

Reply to: Our First Time Overnighting on JVD - Several Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted