We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confued - East West Both?

BCRocks
reviews: 5
Confued - East West Both?

We're so confused.

Where to go? East/West or try and do both?

We're planning on a trip to Newfoundland in July.

Whales & Icebergs would be great, sights, hiking etc.

We originally booked flights to & from St. Johns but then canceled the flights after not being sure if we could handle both the East/West parts of Newfoundland in 10 days.

We then have thought about flying to St. Johns and leaving from Deer Lake.

Can anyone give me some advice?

We want to see the best of Newfoundland in 10 days or as much as we can see without driving every last second.

I know some say do the East in one trip and West in another however I'm not sure when we'll make it back.

Looking for any advice, tips, etc.

Can anyone tell me what you think about flying to St. Johns, spending some time on the easy and then driving out to the west and flying home from Deer Lake?

Thanks in advance

PA
reviews: 11
1. Re: Confued - East West Both?

The answer is easy: Skip the East. The time spent in the East and driving west (the road between is pretty stark) is time wasted.

The East is very ordinary, stuff you can find many places.

The West is spectacular, one-of-a-kind. Budget some time, as the weather is unpredictable, and you might have a day or two washed out.

Twillingate is the furthest east I'd go, though it's a bit out of the way.

Rather than fly to and from Newfoundland, if you have the time, you may want to take the ferry from Nova Scotia. That way you can also spend a day in Cape Breton Highlands National Park, fantastic in its own right.

montreal
reviews: 21
2. Re: Confued - East West Both?

Hey B.CRocks.

Kathleen here.

We are doing the same thing. 10 days , I love the open road so, we are flying to Halifax , next day to north Sydney. take the ferry to Port aux Basques, and from there we will pretty much follow the no 1 highway in and around Newfoundland.Hubbie and I did a mix of golf and sightseeing last year . this year only sightseeing with my sisters. Since I am the only driver I want to keep it to a 4 hour minimum.

We will be staying in Rocky Harbour for 2 nights.

then maybe up the highway to Gander and do the 320 loop to dead mans bay provincial park.then up to bonavista and check out where John Cabot landed.

on the road again to St. johns and surrounding areas if time allows. we are hopeing to hang out on George street for a night and check out the Irish pubs.

thats it, then on to montreal.

If anyone has any better ideas , don't be shy...

3. Re: Confued - East West Both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 am, November 01, 2009