We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mijas as town to use for base to see Costa del Sol

Which Mijas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Mijas as town to use for base to see Costa del Sol

Still looking for a town to stay in that is convenient to see much of the Costa del Sol area - and Seville, Cordoba, and drive to Granada.

Has anyone stayed in Mijas recently or knows much about it? Looked at Nerja, but was given mixed reviews and told you need to drive into or through Malaga to get to many areas of sightseeing.

This is getting confusing. We don't want to stay in an area of tourist hotel highrises, though. Any help would be appreciated.

Andalucia, Spain
reviews: 3
1. Re: Mijas as town to use for base to see Costa del Sol

Hi

I wrote to one of you other posts about Alhaurin el Grande, I agree to stay on this side of Malaga is a good idea and ideal to explore Andalucia/Costa del Sol.

Mijas isnt high rise but it is very touristy and when I went the other day it was very difficult even to park - they get a lot of coach tours visiting as well.

Alhaurin el Grande is just 5 miles away and has beautiful views across valleys and to the side of the Mijas mountains - if you look on www.elroble.co.uk on their places to see page you can see photos of Mijas and they have an Alhaurin el Grande page that has many pictures taken through the village. If you look at the first two places on the list on the left - the views you see in the photos are of the Mijas mountains.

Good luck with your plans.

Sandra

Scotland
reviews: 23
2. Re: Mijas as town to use for base to see Costa del Sol

Hi Tooblue. My wife and I holidayed in Mijas Pueblo for the first time this year and were delighted with our stay. Yes, the village is a tourist mecca during the day, but that changes early evening when the coach parties head back down the hill.

Lots of great restaurants in Mijas, including the stunning Alcazaba. Parking can be a pain, certainly, but the 10-storey car park near the town hall always has spaces, and doesn't cost a lot. Come 6pm, anyway, the village empties, and the car park is not needed.

I like Alhaurin el Grande. It is one of the places I will be checking out to buy a retirement property when I come out in September.

My only reservation, as a tourist, would be the drive to get to the coastal motorway and toll road that will whisk you to the likes of Marbella and Puerto Banus, or, the other way, Malaga and Nerja.

Sandra will know better than I, but I'd say it would take a good 20-25 minutes to hit the N340 from Alhaurin, while it is only six minutes from Mijas Pueblo.

By the way, there are no tourist hotel high rises in Mijas (nor Alhaurin), although where we stayed, La Ermita, holds an incredibly commanding position in the village, and is well worth looking round when you are there.

So if it's a straightforward Mijas v Alhaurin contest as a base to see the Costa del Sol, I guess you know where my vote is cast.

Sorry, Sandra!

http://www.mijas-villas.com/restaurants.htm

Andalucia, Spain
reviews: 3
3. Re: Mijas as town to use for base to see Costa del Sol

Hi again

Just to give you an idea of the distances from Alhaurin el Grande, we live on the Urique/La Mota side - where the castle on the hill is - and it is 20 minutes to the N340. Our son works in Calahonda and it takes him about 25 minutes to get to work each day.

Although to go to Marbella from here that would not be the route, just 5 minutes from here is the junction to the new Marbella road which takes you past Ojen and Monda and straight to the centre of Marbella - a very good quality road with little traffic, no tolls and takes 30 minutes to Marbella.

To go to Malaga and on to Nerja etc you would take the Cartama road to the new motorway that runs straight into Malaga. We can get into the town centre of Malaga in half an hour and to Nerja in an hour.

We hope you enjoy Alhaurin, Tony, when you come in September - we moved here 5 years ago and would never consider moving back to the UK.

Good luck tooblue with your holiday plans - you will enjoy it wherever you stay in the area.

Sandra

-
4. Re: Mijas as town to use for base to see Costa del Sol

It depends on how long you can stay and how much you want to drive. Mijas is not highrise but in my opinion totally spoilt, for me it's worth an hour to walk around, take in the view and get out. It has a totally artificial feel about it, in a picture postcard kind of way, if you know what I mean.

Your original thought of Nerja would be my choice but you are then further away from Cordoba and Seville. However easy drive to Granada and close enough to Malaga. The countryside north of the autoroute between Malaga and Nerja has many traditional white villages far nicer than Mijas simply because they are not so 'discovered'.

If you don't want highrise there is little point in seeing the costas west of Malaga. It's difficult without knowing more of your preferences and time constraints.

Benalmadena Pueblo
reviews: 1
5. Re: Mijas as town to use for base to see Costa del Sol

Mijas Pueblo or Benalmadena Pueblo would be an ideal location for your visit. The coastal strip from Torremolinos/Benalmadena Costa/Fuengirola is 15 minutes away, but you are also only 5-10 minutes from the motorway. Granada & The Alhambra is around 90 minutes away, Cordoba (for the architecture) is 2 hours, Seville for flamenco & tapas 90 minutes, Jerez for Andalucian Horse displays and sherry bodegas 90 minutes, Ronda for the Gorge and bullfighting history (loved by Orson Wells and Hemingway) and the countryside and mountains are absolutely beautiful. You are only about 15 minutes drive from Malaga airport, great especially after a long and tiring journey.

6. Re: Mijas as town to use for base to see Costa del Sol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, August 15, 2009