We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norfolk Lodging

Which Norfolk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 98
Norfolk Lodging

Hi all and thanks for reading.

Looking at this forum, I realize that this has already been asked quite a bit, but I wanted to see what I could get for my situation.

I'll be coming for one night in late May and am looking for a hotel in the Hampton Roads area, preferably on the southern side in Norfolk or nearby. I'm looking for something cheap ($50) and am absolutely prepared for what that rate entails. I'm only worried about getting stuck in a terrible neighborhood and having the rental car busted into, as I know that Norfolk is a military town and I've read some reviews that mention crime issues at some places.

I had seen the Super 8 or Rodeway on the bay on the northeast side of the city, and that sounds good, but I'm not sure what sort of area that is and what to expect from the hotel.

Ideally, I'd like a non-chain place close to a Downtown or business area that's active at night. Not sure if that even exists for Norfolk, especially for about $50/night.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. I've never been to Norfolk (haven't been to Virginia in 20 or so years), so I'm excited about the trip.

Thanks in advance,

Colin

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 44
11. Re: Norfolk Lodging

I wouldn't bother "splurging" to stay in Portsmouth. The Super 8 looks much better on the website than in person, and is just a block or so away from where the homeless hang out waiting for the bus to take them to a shelter on cold nights. I can't even picture where the Best Value is. I'm heading to downtown Portsmouth tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye out for it. But if it's anything like the Best Value on Military Highway, I'd pass. Of course, this one is by the interstate and caters to truckers. Besides, staying in Portsmouth would put you out of your way to get to the Bay Bridge.

However, it's definitely worth the ferry ride over to walk around Old Town, check out the many fine restaurants, antique shops, art galleries, Sports Museum.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
reviews: 142
12. Re: Norfolk Lodging

The Americas Best Value is in Norfolk at Military hgwy. It's not the best place but gets some decent reviews, is convenient to I264 and downtown Norfolk and it's cheap. I went past the Days Inn on Battlefield Blvd (Greenbriar area) yesterday, I don't know anything about the motel, but it's next to Dunkin Donuts, gas, Sam's Club, Walmart, normal suburbia stuff, about 20+ min to downtown Norfolk outside of rush hours, lots of traffic in Greenbrier area and some interstate construction at Battlefield, motel looks OK to spend the night if the price is right.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 44
13. Re: Norfolk Lodging

Just to clarify, the Best Value I was thinking of is in Chesapeake, South Military Highway right off the I-264/664 MESS. And now that I'm thinking about it, it might not even be Best Value - it's gone through a number of owners.

Virginia
reviews: 3
14. Re: Norfolk Lodging

If you want to be near the downtown night life I would def. check out possibly staying in Old Towne Portsmouth. I live in Norfolk and my husband and I go to Old Towne frequently for the restaurants. Because Old Towne is on the opposite bank of the Elizabeth River from Norfolk, you could catch the ferry over to Norfolk's waterside where there are lots of clubs and hangouts. Granby Street in Norfolk is a short walk from the ferry landing and is always a fun place to go for drinks and to see and be seen on a weekend night. If you are considering a slurge somewhere in the 90 dollar range, check out the Hawthorn Hotel in Portsmouth. It is within walking distance of the ferry and any place that you would want to go in Old Towne. You could also try hotwire.com and limit your search to downtown Norfolk and see if you could catch a deal. In my opinion I would not want to stay out in the Chesapeake/ Battlefield/Greenbriar area because there is nothing but chain restaurants and shops and you have to drive to get anywhere, nothing is walkable. I would also hesitate to stay in the Oceanview section of Norfolk. Granted there are very high end properties dotting the shorline of the bay but that area can be very hit or miss. Good Luck!

15. Re: Norfolk Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 22, 2009