We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel

Which Greve in Chianti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wayne, PA
reviews: 38
Train Travel

Hello ~

In the Tuscan region, I would like to be based in one of the Hill Towns, preferably Greve, but am open to Siena or San Gimignano. The issue is traveling into Florence while we are in that region. Ideally, it would be a train, so could someone please tell me - if there are trains into Florence, where would be the best town from which to get the train? We will be renting a car while in that region but do not want to drive into Florence. Eventually, we will be driving from the Tuscan/Florence region to Venice.

Any and all info you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Carol

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
1. Re: Train Travel

Most of the hill towns are not serviced by trains. Siena is but even then the bus is more convenient for gong into Florence. If you would be interested in bus service, a schedule could be posted for you. BTW, Greve isn't what I would call a hill town but it is very nice.

TAB

Edited: 8:31 pm, January 09, 2013
Wayne, PA
2. Re: Train Travel

Yes, please, the bus schedule information would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your comments.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
3. Re: Train Travel

Bus between Greve and Florence (and others):

http://www.acvbus.it/orari/365.pdf

The other bus lines from Siena to Florence and San Gimignano are off line. My links no linger work. Hopefully someone could provide additional info for you.

TAB

Wayne, PA
4. Re: Train Travel

TAB ~

Thanks for your quick response. In the interim, I was thinking about whether we could just drive (we will have a car) to a location just outside of Florence, park the car, and then either take train or bus into the city proper. Question is...where would that location be? Any thoughts/recommendations along those lines.

Thanks again.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
5. Re: Train Travel

Figline Valdarno has a train lines going into Florence and isn't too far from Greve. It's about 30-40 minute drive and then the train into florence would be another 30 minutes. I'm sure there are closer stations.

TAB

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
6. Re: Train Travel

Yes, when I stay in the Greve area I always drive to Figliine and park in the huge free car park behind the station and then train in and out of Florence. Greve is a lovely town, but is certainly not a hilltown.

Castellina in...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Train Travel

The bus from Greve is very convenient - it takes you right into the centre of Florence: greve-in-chianti.com/getting-to-greve/gettin…

8. Re: Train Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, April 09, 2014