We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chianti Itinerary

Which Greve in Chianti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Siggiewi, Malta
reviews: 2
Chianti Itinerary

My friends and I are spending 2 days in the Chianti region on our round-Tuscany trip. We'll be leaving Siena on one morning and driving to Impruneta where we'll be lodging.

Before going to Impruneta we will be making a stop at San Gimignano as I've read plenty of positive things about it.

Given the limited amount of time we have, which other area/s should we go to? I'm not sure if we'd be able to fit in anything else other than San Gimignano in that day, but the next day we have a whole day free because then we'll be driving up to Florence.

We're not really into wine tasting and we'll be going into plenty of museums and other cultural sites in other places in Tuscany so we're mainly looking for scenery and a little spot of fun and adventure more than anything else.

Help is appreciated :)

Chicago, Il
reviews: 27
1. Re: Chianti Itinerary

Volterra is 30km west and less touristy than SG. SG is positively has a great views and positively full of tourists. We stopped there and left an hour later because it was so full of people.

Monteriggioni is just a little north of Siena and is a quick stop (30 to 60mins). The Poet Dante references this town a lot (Inferno canto XXXI) in his writings and it’s a well preserved town.

Edited: 8:27 am, August 24, 2012
Siggiewi, Malta
2. Re: Chianti Itinerary

Thanks a lot. I had in fact read about and checked on Volterra but given it's even further more to the West side, I figured we should try and look more to the East side.

But I'll definately check re Monteriggioni.

Florence, Italy
3. Re: Chianti Itinerary

Poor San Gimignano gets a bum rap. People are always griping about too many people. Do they ever wonder why so many people go there? It's because there's stuff to see there!

The town was devastated in the Black Plague of 1338 - almost everyone died. It took years for the place to get back on its feet, so what we see today is an almost pristinely preserved late gothic town! Look past the souvenir shops, turn your gaze up to the buildings and see what this place is about. Enter the Collegiata to see the most integrally preserved medieval church in Tuscany, if not in all of north-central Italy! Check out Benozzo Gozzoli at Sant'Agostino! Eat saffron gelato! Don't cross San Gimi off your list just because it's popular!

Siggiewi, Malta
4. Re: Chianti Itinerary

Wow that's really interesting thanks! And saffron ice cream sounds absolutely wonderful; can't wait to go there :)

Latina, Italy
5. Re: Chianti Itinerary

When will all this be? As #3 points out, there's no point in crossing a place off your list just because it's crowded. Crowds are a fact of life for tourists in Italy. If you look at the various Italy forums on TA in Venice there are heaving masses, the Vatican is wall to wall people, long lines to get into Milan Cathedral, and on it goes. Even crowds in San Gimmy, and guess what you'll find in Florence?! Sure there are quieter places, but you need time to find them (maybe in the off-season, if that still exists) and at least on a first trip visitors want to see the "must dos".

Do go to San Gimignano, it's well worth it.

Siggiewi, Malta
6. Re: Chianti Itinerary

We will be in the Chianti area on the 21st and 22nd September, so it's a nice in between the high and low season. But as you rightly pointed out, crowds isn't something which will scare me off too easily. When I visited Rome 2 years ago round about the same time of year there were, obviously, plenty of tourists, and London around Christmas time was even more insane.

So San Gimi is definately staying on the list :)

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
7. Re: Chianti Itinerary

You could certainly stop at Monteriggioni and San Gimignano while making your way from Siena to Impruneta. For your clear day following, I would head out of Impruneta and join the SR222 near Strada in Chianti you can then drive down the SR222 stopping at Greve, Panzano and Castellina. If you still have time and energy head across to Radda and then head up north again through Lucolena.

With regard to driving on to Florence, I hope you know all about the limited traffic zone and are parking/dropping your car outside it.

Siggiewi, Malta
8. Re: Chianti Itinerary

Thanks a lot! :) I'll definately check those places out.

Re Limited traffic zones, yes in fact we're dropping off the cars at Florence airport and taking a train to the city centre to avoid any hassle within the city.

reviews: 9
9. Re: Chianti Itinerary

I agree! My wife and I visited Volterra and SG on the same day and found SG much more quaint, less touristy and appealing.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
10. Re: Chianti Itinerary

Be aware that almost every settlement in Italy has a ZTL in its centre: be alert for the signs as you drive into anywhere. See http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ZTL.htm