We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

Which Greve in Chianti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 5
Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

We are travelling from Rome to Florence by car in February. We would like to stop off in Greve and Montefioralle.

I have been reading about the beautiful route, Via Chiantigiana. Is it advisable to go through Siena or to turn off the highway at Montevarchi? The route through Siena is longer so I was wondering if it was worth the extra time or will we see enough of the Tuscan beauty if we go through Radda and Panzano.

My second question is when we arrive in Greve and Montefioralle, will we easily find the public parking areas?

Thank you

Sharon

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

I would go past Siena and first visit Monteriggioni, a very pretty walled hilltop village. Then go via Castellina in Chianti, Greve, etc. You will easily find parking in all these places, especially in February.

However, I must warn you to not even *think* of driving into central Florence. All the central area is prohibited to visitors' cars, but there are countless posts from people who have driven into this area accidentally and have been hit with multiple €100 fines months later.

Blueys Beach...
reviews: 179
2. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

We stayed in Florence for three nights in April. I was warned on tripadvisor about the ZTL driving zones and the hefty fines. We leased a car, which we picked up in Rome, for a month so obviously had to drive to Florence. I contacted our hotel the Santa Maria Novella in advance and they assured me that because we had a booking at the hotel they would get an exemption (or whatever was required) for us to drive to the hotel. It was a bit of a challenge finding the hotel although we did have a GPS. We found a car park and walked to find the hotel which was quite close. The hotel attendant went with us to the car, helped us with our luggage and took care of parking the car for the duration of our stay. Obviously we didn't use our car during our stay in Florence, we walked everywhere. I appreciate the advice that people are giving not to drive in Florence but sometimes it's necessary to get to your hotel. We much prefer to drive and would encourage others to do so as well. You just need to be aware beforehand of the rules.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
3. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

If you don't want to stop in Siena then I would get off A1 in Montevarchi and go up to Radda, Panzano and then Greve. It is a beautiful drive and Radda and Panzano are great to stop for a few minutes.

Another idea is that after you stop at Montefioralle, keep going up and then drop down to Badia di Passignano, then down to S2 and then to Florence. Very pretty drive.

If you would like an amazing meal drive up to Lamole for lunch. Here is the our little review:

Ristoro di Lamole: in the hills above Greve. This is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is phenomenal, the views from the patio are breathtaking, and the service is great. Closed Monday and Wednesday Lunch. You will need a reservation. www.ristorodilamole.it

We also have a great list of restaurants in that area. if you are interested then email us at jnjfraz@cableone.net

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 6
4. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

In Sertember we came the other way through the Chianti leaving Florence south on Rt 222 through Greve. Just north of Castellina we left Rt 222 and took a side road to Radda and then south to the Perugia/Siena freeway by way of Castelnuovo Barardenga. To go to Florence you just need to reverse the route. The public parking in Greve and the other towns are well marked.

Tons of vineyards and it was beautiful but rustic. However, that was in September. Although the roads are fine for winter travel, I have no idea what the countryside will look like in February, may be just a little early for the spring leafing out.

Edited: 8:19 pm, December 22, 2011
Bellingham...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

Monteriggioni is cool but very very small, I wouldn't expect you to spend more than an hour or two there tops. Nearby San Gimignano is worth a day but very touristy. It's OK in the Winter though.

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

Thank you all so much for your advise. I am not receiving email notifications at the moment so had no idea so many had replied.

We have changed our dates and will now travel mid March. We only land in Rome at 12.30 and would like to stop off at Civita di Bagnoregio aswell. We have decided to give Florence a miss as we were there last year. We would also like to go to Montefioralle and then through to Riomaggiore. I like the route suggested by Jeannie through Radda.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which town to use as a stopover? I think it is too far to go all the way to Cinque Terre as it will be too dark to see the beautiful Tuscan Countryside.

Thanks

Sharon

Blueys Beach...
reviews: 179
7. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

We stayed at Palazzo Leopoldo in Radda-in-Chianti in April and had lunch AND dinner at La Botte di Bacco. We drove from Colle de val d'elsa through Chianti and in our opinion Radda is the pick of the Chianti towns. We had already booked our hotel which is part of the Ross chain as is the hotel we stayed in Colle. You may like to read my reviews. enjoy!

Brisbane, Australia
8. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

Thanks very much, I will take a look.

London
reviews: 6
9. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

Hi, Don't forget about a visit to lovely Frascati before you leave Roma. An amazing place especially Villa Tuscolana. When in Chianti Classico region we recommend that you make a plan so you visit Radda in Chianti, Gaiole, Castellina in Chianti and of course Greve in Chianti so you can say you've done them all and bought the T-shirt.

Best Place to eat:

Greve : il Gallo Nero

Radda: La Bottega di Volpaia

Castelliana: Tre Porte

Gaiole: il Papavero

Also between Gaiole and Radda is Villa Miranda, 19 of us enjoyed a coffee with Miranda in 2009. Very interesting place as she was on BBC's Francesco's Italy top to toe. When driving up, you have to stop off in Orvieto Classico. If you do then please let us know as this is on the tick list !

Edited: 2:35 pm, February 15, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
10. Re: Travelling from Rome to Florence -advise needed please

Thanks, I will google all those places. Radda and Grieve is on the definate list as is Civita di Bagnoregio (if you haven't been there, you must add that to your tick list).