We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

Which Greve in Chianti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 10
please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

hi,

i'm going to be doing a daytrip through chianti for some wine tasting/touring with three friends. we will be driving (one of us will not be drinking).

we are staying in ambra (near bucine).

there are so many wineries that i am becoming somewhat overwhelmed. i've checked out the chianticlassico website, but i'm still struggling to decide.

we are thinking of seeing the following wineries:

volpaia or vescine in radda, verrazzano in greve, and perhaps one more (???)

any suggestions? our italian is not very good, if that matters.

Virginia
reviews: 113
1. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

The only one on your list that we visited was Volpaia and it was lovely. The whole town is centered around the winery. Granted, it's a very small town, but we enjoyed our visit there. I would recommend it.

I'd suggest Vignamaggio as well. We toured 7 wineries while we were in Tuscany and that was our favorite by far. We did the 50 Euro tour which included lunch, and that was the best lunch we had in our entire trip, restaurants included! Sandro speaks flawless English so you'll be in good hands. They have other tours as well, if you don't want lunch. We thought 50 Euro was very expensive at first, until we did the tour, had tastings of their wines and had that fantastic lunch! This is the only winery we would visit again, since there are so many wineries to visit in Tuscany.

We went with a group of 14, and most of us volunteer at wineries here in the states, so we had a different perspective of the wineries. Vignamaggio impressed us on every level. Some of the others didn't.

Alexandria, Va
reviews: 25
2. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

We went to Verazzano a few weeks ago, and did their wine tour. It was lovely; the tour guide was funny and the grounds are beautiful. They gave you very generous tastings of 4 wines, plus vino santo (their sweet wine) and a shot of grappa at the end.

Toronto
reviews: 10
3. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

thanks for your input, feelin irie and kaudrey! i will definitely look into vigniamaggio. if a good lunch is included, i don't think 50 euros is too bad.

raleigh,nc
reviews: 13
4. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

You might try Casaloste near Panzano---one town over from Greve in Chianti--we visited without an appointment, but were given a gracious welcome two weeks ago.

this is a really fine producer---we tasted and bought some of the 2007 Chianti Classico Riserva-----pretty grounds, great views.

Syosset, New York
reviews: 21
5. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

Wife and I did the wine tour with a 4 course lunch at Varrazzano last September. It was fantastic. The tour guide was very warm and passionate about their wines and she made the tour very interesting and informative. The wines were excellent and the lunch was amazing. Everything they prepared for lunch was grown or raised on the estate. They also make their own balsamic vinegar which you taste at lunch along with delicious cheeses, breads, a pasta dish and a meat dish. The wine tasting and tour was the highlight of our trip to Tuscany. We highly recommend visiting Castello di Varrazzano

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
6. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

Volpaia: such a pretty hamlet (only 40 people live there) set 500m up on top of a hill in amazing countryside, this is one of our favourite hamlets for lunch (was there last week), we're fond of the wines and, even more, the olive oil. Have never done a tour (can you do a tour?). Verrazzano: a beautiful castle estate within easy reach of Greve, have only been to the enoteca to sample and then buy their excellent wines (yes, the Chianti Classico Riserva is delicious), have never done a tour. Vignamaggio: we did the tour (without the food at the end) last month and both rated it highly. We've done many tours and this time only really wanted to visit the gardens but the tour was up there with the best, the guide so knowledgeable and spent time going into the finer technical sides of wine making. We weren't shown all the gardens but the bits we did see were gorgous plus the villa itself is magnificent. A couple of others: the tour at Castello Brolio (Ricasoli) and all the wines here. The tour at the Antinori estate over at Badia a Passignano, all the wines and the lunch later in the enoteca, a little on the pricey side but good quality.

south jersey
reviews: 9
7. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

We chose the Verrazzano tour with lunch. Some of the best pork, wild boar, and wine that I have ever had. Tour was good, winery was beautiful and food was excellent. A very lovely experience.

Greve in Chianti...
reviews: 3
8. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

When I take guests to visit wineries, I prefer to take them to places where they can't find the wine on the shelves of the local supermarkets. Verrazzano and Vignamaggio are lovely, yet all you need to taste their wines are to walk into any Coop supermarket and there they are.

One of our favorite places is Fattoria Montagliari, just below Panzano and very near Casaloste, mentioned by flakcatcher20 above. The wines are excellent, the food at the restaurant is too. They don't export and you won't find their products on the shelves in the liquor aisle.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 26
9. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

We made a nice day of two wineries already mentioned. We started with a 10 AM tour (no tasting) at Vignamaggio, then continued up the road for lunch at Ristoro di Lamole. After lunch, we continued on to Volpaia (partially unpaved road) for a tour and tasting scheduled for 3PM. After Volpaia we went to Castellina for the evening and dinner, before returning to our cottage in Panzano.

Edited: 11:26 pm, July 30, 2011
Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
10. Re: please give me your opinion on these wineries in chianti

Bgmanne, how did you find the road from Lamole to Volpaia? I only ask as I recommended this route to someone earlier in the spring stressing it was a dirt track for much of the way but they later told me that they found it very hard going. I sense it didn't trouble you too much?

Edited: 12:54 pm, July 31, 2011