We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Ischia (Sant Angelo) Trip

Which Ischia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
concord nh
reviews: 16
Our Ischia (Sant Angelo) Trip

After a disappointing time in Rome, a terrible bus ride to the Amalfi Coast and a OK time in Sorrento we headed for Ischia. After taking the ferry we landed in Ischia Port and got on the bus only to find it overflowing with people and no place to sit. We headed for Sant Angelo only to pick up even more people, no a/c, stop and go traffic and even more stops to pick up even more people. (This is what we had to deal with on our bus ride to the Amalfi Coast which was the worse bus rides I've ever been on, but thankfully shorter to Sant Angelo)

We eventually made it to Sant Angelo and finally found what we had been looking for in Italy. We had a studio apartment on the beach with a balcony and views of the beach and ocean. We found narrow lanes and paths to several area towns with houses and architecture similar to Greek Islands, very few people and great views of the hills & beaches.

We found Alba Mini-market where we bought fresh Italian bread, cheeses, and olives, we walked along the beaches along the coast, past orchards, pretty homes and friendly locals. One thing that bothered us however was the number of German tourists. Everywhere we went we found Germans (nothing wrong with Germans, but it would have been nice to see more Italians than "foreigners") most shops and restaurants we went to seemed to be occupied by Germans. We couldn't tell if we were in Germany or Italy! We eat mostly at da Pasquali and ate pizza and pasta on a regular basis. Thankfully the gelato shops kept us from going crazy from eating too much of the same thing. Prices for food at most Italian restaurants tend to be high because you had to buy a different course for each type of food you wanted. Thankfully the house wines were cheap and kept us in a state of bliss to deal with what we didn't expect to find in Italy . . . modern, contemporary, upscale and expensive. Where is the Old World Italy?

Edited: 3:49 pm, October 19, 2012
Latina, Italy
11. Re: Our Ischia (Sant Angelo) Trip

It's too late now for the OP, but if you are on Ischia and you want something different, hop across to the island of Procida. Only a few minutes on the hydrofoil from either Ischia Porto or Casamicciola. You'll find a different world and very few tourists.

Budapest
12. Re: Our Ischia (Sant Angelo) Trip

"Where is the Old World Italy?"

I am telling you where it is. I have just come back from Ischia and I have found it there .In Sorgeto(next to Sant Angelo) for example where people were almost all Italians in the hot water. Taxi boat took me to Sant Angelo by Italians. In the morning in Ischia Ponte Italian fishermen sold live Italian fish from their boat for Italian cooks as they sold it thousand year ago in the same way.

concord nh
13. Re: Our Ischia (Sant Angelo) Trip

Thanks for all the helpful tips

Edited: 1:26 pm, October 22, 2012
St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
14. Re: Our Ischia (Sant Angelo) Trip

What "old World italy" did the OP expect to find? Those fake hollywood Italaians.

Europe is part of the developed world. It is not some cheap place to go and gorge on different cheap foods and buy cheap goods. Asia is the place for that now.

I really don't think that Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice, ischia, and Capri) is anymore expensive than Paris and it might be cheaper than London in Great Britain.

Some of the cheap Italian vacations I went on in Feb 2005-2010 for my daughter's spring break were cheaper than similar vacations in Kiawa island, San Francisco, or Hawaii, I scrimp on airfare and lodging and spend more on food. we don't eat all the courses, but eat 2 meals a day in a restaruatn if we can manage it. We gourge in pasticceria on pastries in the morning

Edited: 2:51 pm, October 22, 2012
concord nh
15. Re: Our Ischia (Sant Angelo) Trip

To all the people who gave thoughtful and helpful responses . . . thanks. Never said I hated Sant Angelo . . . in fact it was the best stay of our 3 city visit. The town was virtually deserted most of the time, hardly anyone on the beach and a number of shops closed but enough open to shop and eat. Even no traffic other than electric vehicles and a few small town worker trucks. Being on the beach was a huge plus with great views from our balcony overlooking the beach and sea. Nice lanes and foot paths up the hills to near-by towns, great views and friendly people.

As for Disney World no thanks . . . even Rome is better than that!

16. Re: Our Ischia (Sant Angelo) Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 24, 2013