We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forio/Lord Byron Hotel

Which Forio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hants
reviews: 13
Forio/Lord Byron Hotel

I wonder if anybody would be able to tell me if Forio is suitable for somebody like myself who has mild walking problems. The problems I have mean that I find it difficult to keep walking up hills/steps. The odd one or two wouldn't matter.

I'm really interested in the Lord Byron Hotel, but am told by Solitaire that the hotel and surrounding area isn't suitable for people with mobility problems. They haven't really been very clear as to why not.

I'd be very grateful for any help or advice.

Many thanks.

Rosie

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Forio/Lord Byron Hotel

Rosie, hi!

That hotel's position is a bit hard to find on maps etc - which I'm pretty sure is because the larger part of the street that it's on (Via G. Castellaccio) is on the far side of a newer "main" road whose construction or widening chopped it into two pieces.

I've used GoogleMaps to find this view of the narrow entranceway where the smaller piece leads off that bigger road (Via Monsignor Filippo Schioppa) and along to where the hotel is. You should be able to make out their blue sign, adorned with what's presumably the Byron family's coat of arms?

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/126691980/original

That big road has only a gentle slope, but there are frequent buses along it - almost right through the night - so it shouldn't be difficult for you!

As far as I can see, the hotel isn't very far up that lane, which again has only a very gentle slope.

Here's the satellite view, and I'm again pretty sure that the hotel isn't where the pink Google "A" symbol is showing it to be, but instead next to the blue swimming pool - down and to the left - which looks a lot like the one on their website...

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/126692128/original

(That's also the only pool anywhere nearby!)

The town of Forio itself is all fairly level (or at least you can stay on the level very easily) although, as it's sort of headland, there are steeper paths that run down the sides - but there's no need to use them since there are much gentler ways to ascend or descend, so you'll hardly notice!

You'll find some pictures of mine here - the hillier ones show not the town itself but some of the Comune of Forio's outlying areas.... its boundary runs to the top of Mount Epomeo some 2600 feet above sea level (but, like us, you may not want to bother going all the way up there?)

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/forio

For more island stuff, start here...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

I imagine the booking people may not have very specific information, but quite possibly - for instance - there's no lift in some or all of the hotel's buildings?

There are more conveniently located places but it's not 1/2 up Kilimanjaro. As you've probably realised by now, Ischia gets lots of visitors coming for spa treatments - for arthritis, rheumatism etc - and you should see the places some of the poor old things battle their way up to!

I believe there was an English lady at the hotel - not sure if she's still there, but you could ring if it would put your mind at rest... from the UK the telephone number would be 0039 081997518 ... perhaps best not to call at meal times?

Hope that helps!

Peter

PS - TA members' reviews here....

tripadvisor.co.uk/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Hants
reviews: 13
2. Re: Forio/Lord Byron Hotel

Peter - thank you so much, that is very very helpful. Meanwhile, Travel One have come back to me, and said that there are 20 steps up to the restaurant, so that's a no no then!!

It's difficult when you're on your own. I don't mind travelling on my own, but it's nice to have company in the evenings at mealtimes, which makes travelling with a single travellers' company ideal. Having said that, it is much cheaper travelling on your own!

Thanks for your help. Am now looking at a hotel in Agadir! :o)

Rosie

3. Re: Forio/Lord Byron Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 17, 2011