We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cava de' tirreni rain to sorrento

Which Cava De' Tirreni hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 4
Cava de' tirreni rain to sorrento

We are staying in Cava and wish to go to Sorrento. What is the quickest/easiest way? I know we can take a bus to Amalfi then to Sorrento but I think it will take very long. We could take a bus to Vietre Sul Mare, then one to Amalfi then a ferry but I am afraid of getting stuck on the way back. My gut tells me to take a train to Pompeii then switch to a train to Sorrento but I am finding their schedules confusing and the train websites do not have English translation...help!

3 replies to this topic
Florence, Italy
reviews: 330
1. Re: Cava de' tirreni rain to sorrento

Hi Goinnuts

By rail, Cava dei Tirreni-Sorrento is a poor connection, because while Cava dei Tirreni is on the line owned by Italian State Railways, Sorrento is on the line managed by "Circumvesuviana" and often the stations where you can transfer from one line to another are distant, even if they refer to the same city. Eg, the station "Pompei" on the line Salerno-Cava dei Tirreni-Napoli (Italian State Railways) is far from station "[Pompei] Villa dei Misteri" on the line Napoli-Sorrento (Circumvesuviana): The distance is about one mile (see "Pompei" on Google maps, where some icons show the station sites).

If you are willing to walk this distance, the connection is anyway feasible. For timetables Cava dei Tirreni-Pompei see

www.trenitalia.com,

then click on UK flag, then enter station's names;

for [Pompei] Villa dei Misteri-Sorrento, see

http://www.eavcampania.it/web/content/ download-time-rail

then click on "Napoli-Sorrento" to download the whole line timetable.

Cheers

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Cava de' tirreni rain to sorrento

This may help with the transfer between stations in the town of Pompei....

www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

Of the various stations and lines it shows...

- the red line is run by Trenitalia (Naples in one direction, Salerno in the other)

- the orange one is the CV between Sorrento and Naples

- and the black one is another CV line, which goes off miles from where you want!

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 4
3. Re: Cava de' tirreni rain to sorrento

Thanks for all your help!!

As an aside, if anyone is looking to stay on the Amalfi Coast, do NOT stay in Villa Amalia in Cave de' Tirreni! It has been 9 days and the owner still has not returned my deposit of 1000 euros with no explanation. I am investigating reporting him for fraud!

Reply to: Cava de' tirreni rain to sorrento
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cava De' Tirreni
More Cava De' Tirreni Topics