We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Naxos?

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 9
Where to stay on Naxos?

Trying to figure out a nice but not expensive place to stay for 3 nights late June. We are in our late 50's/early 60's. Like the "local scene" and nice beaches. Any recommendations regarding locales and hotels/studios/B & B's?

PS Where is St George? Can't find it on my map but have read that it is nice.

Philadelphia
21. Re: Where to stay on Naxos?

Janderra, "Old Town" really means the winding agora-maze that goes up to the "Kastro" area. Yes, Greek Traveller has described the pathway that is more level, to go into the "Old Town" or "old Agora" area. But inevitably, to get to lodgings, you will hve to go up stairstep lanes .. You do NOT want to stay there, if you have that husband with the stairs problem.

You have said before that he can walk some distance on the level ... and The area around the Town square, and the near end of St. George beach is all on the level. Do you have a map at all or are you flying blind. Do you have a guidebook yet? THey have naxos town maps.

Here is a map showing many lodgings in Naxos Town, and also St. George beach. naxos-greece.net/site/gfx/chora_naxos_hotels… -- click on it & it enlarges. This is far from complete (it dates back a few years, and only shows hotels that paid for inclusion). However it is very useful, and if you name a hotel that is not here, we can locate it for you in reference to hotels that ARE shown.

Lodging that may be appropriate for you = Hotel Galini-Sophia L (#40 & 31) -- 2 linked building, 1 family. THey have some street-level rooms, NO stairs, all with "verandas". one of the best buffet breakfasts on the island ... and as u can see, the closest walk to Naxos town. And yes, there are 2-3 good tavernas on the beach for dinner, just a few yards away -- I like Kavouri. If you notify the hotel what ferry you will arrive on and ask for pick-up at the ferry dock (explain your husband's leg thing), most hotels provide pick-up. If not, a taxi is about €4. I have stayed there 2x, nice family runs it. http://www.hotelgalini.com/hotel/index.html

So, stop futzing about "old town" and try this; more appropriate.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
22. Re: Where to stay on Naxos?

Here you can see the waterfront and the main parts of Naxos Town:

http://tinyurl.com/dykxxw

You don't have to drive to get to the street I mentioned - the town nor the waterfront are that big.

Like TJ says you will still have steps inside the area, but the main climb is avoided.

I support TJ's recommendation - it is walkable anywhere in town from the St. George area.

Chester, United...
reviews: 8
23. Re: Where to stay on Naxos?

I to am considering Naxos for 2 weeks mid June. Don't like fancy hotels or too much of the 'night scene', preferring to stay in simple clean rooms, in sight of the sea, in a friendly family run establishment, with a clutch of tavernas close by. Is this possible. How far down the coast would I have to go for somewhere a LITTLE quieter. Plaka beach? Help?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
24. Re: Where to stay on Naxos?

Hi Brenda,

Please post your own request to avoid confusion, and to stay focused on helping you.

Australia
reviews: 65
25. Re: Where to stay on Naxos?

Hi Travelerjan

Thanks for the map, yes I have a travel book a Lonely Planet from 2010 but according to the information on trip advisor it is more than 2 years out of date with the ferry information so what hope have I got.

It also doesnt mention any of the hotels recommended in Trip advisor.

I will look at the hotels you have mentioned. Have been leaning towards the Glaros at this stage as it is newly refurnished, has lovely reviews and the prices are excellant. However I will certainly look at the hotels you suggest.

A hotel with a room on the 1st floor and 20 stairs isnt a problem as my husband climbs 19 stairs every night at our home to go to the bedroom.

Thanks again for all your suggestions

Janderra

26. Re: Where to stay on Naxos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:36 am, April 20, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town