We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 181
Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

We have just about nailed all of the plans for our trip this September and are rethinking how we will get to Athens from Naxos. We can see from the Blue Star schedule that there are 2 a day - one in the am dept 9:30AM arrives 3:00PM the other at 6:00PM arrives 23:25 at the port in Athens. We see no benefit in the later ferry - as much of it will be dark, arrival in Athens and finding our way to hotel may well take 90minutes (if we are lucky). arriving 1:30-2AM. Not how we want to spend our evening. That leaves the am ferry and a 5 1/2-6 hr journey plus port time, waiting to hear about a fast ferry in September (21st) and it may or many not run, or catching a flight to Athens which right now shows at 62 Euros, takes 35 minutes, departs late morning. Of course there is transit time at the airport in Naxos (and getting our luggage in Athens) but likely comparable to what we would exp. at the ports, We see the ferry cost is as low as 30 Euros economy. So roughly 30 Euro premium to fly. Getting to Plaka as I understand it is much easier from the airport than from Piraeus. All said we are willing to pay the premium to fly if we can save 3 hours on the ground seeing a bit more of Naxos in the am (meaning a second cup of coffee :) and Athens and if the metro to Plaka is easier. Is this an efficient use of our time?

Edited: 11:41 pm, January 25, 2010
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
reviews: 39
1. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

That is a no brainer. If you fly you will be in your hotel Athens in about 1.75 hours after you leave Naxos. I have the same flight booked for June and never thought a second about the price difference. Unless you want the ferry trip to be a cheap sea cruise I would fly every time.

I am assuming that flight is on Olympic Air. I did not realize they were taking bookings for this summer yet.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 181
2. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

Olympic is not taking reservations yet. I am basing times and fares for flights until end of March. I understand the award for subsidy to Naxos for the rest of the year has not been made yet. I see some regular posters are pretty certain it will be the "new" Olympic Air.

australia
reviews: 36
3. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

i too would like to know about flights from athens to naxos.i cant find anthing for around august. Looked at olympic and it doesnt have an online reservaton system anymore. Also aegean doesnt fly to naxos. anyone know about the flights there? eg who will fly there and when are we likely to know?i HATE flying olympic they are so unreliable, always delayed, planes are so ancient last itime we flew with them to santorini they screwed up bigtime, and was soooo hot on the plane. i refuse to fly with them again

4. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:31 am, January 26, 2010
Shropshire England
5. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

When we fly we never seem to have that much extra time at Naxos! We tend to get up a bit later and move a little more slowly then you need to allow a little more time at the airport before the flight. All this seems to eat into the extra time.

So we prefer to take the 9.30 Blue Star and then we can relax for the trip and get our last rays of Greek sun giving our tan a final boost.

We can then be in Plaka before 4pm only about 1 1/2 hours after the flight (assuming the flight leaves on time)

So it depends how you want to use your time.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
6. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

The current timetable for flights to and from Naxos are:

Athens departure 10:00 am

Naxos departure 11:10 am

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
7. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

I now see you were talking about ferries from Naxos to Athens, not the other way round. I have travelled back from Naxos and Paros both by flight and ferry. The flight has an advantage if you wish to be at the airport for a connecting flight out, but if you plan to spend the next day or two in Athens, then it's a toss-up. With the flight you will have to get to the airport about an hour before departure, then wait for bags upon arrival and transfer into central Athens by bus or metro. The ferry takes longer, but at least you don't have those annoying waits before and after, as you do with flights.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
8. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

I meant to add, boarding and disembarking from ferries is very simple. There is no check-in or wait to go through security. You just turn up at the port about 30 min or so before departure, and when the gates open walk up the ramp and hand over your tickets. When the ferry arrives at Piraeus all you have to do is grab your bags and walk down the ramp. The metro/train station for Athens is opposite the Cyclades docks, about 5 min walk from the ferry. Thirty minutes later you will be in central Athens.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 16
9. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

CanadianBoys

Naxos town > Athens(Plaka) all rather simple.

ETA in Athens(Plaka).

Flight - 14:00 (based on current times).

Fast ferry - 16:00 (it leaves later and is twice the cost...).

Slow ferry - 16:00.

You will have a greater ferry choice than 2 it should be around 4 per day, but it will be unlikely to affect the above.

Getting to the Plaka area is significantly quicker from Piraeus than Athens airport.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
10. Re: Naxos to Athens - Air or Ferry

As seen here Naxos Airport is very small:

http://tinyurl.com/yla68qp

Security check is there, but is done within minutes. For knowing when to check in ask at their office in Naxos when you are there.

If you are staying in Athens afterwards the metro is reliable and easy to access (connected to the airport) and the journey is appr. 40 mins. From harbour you will have to cross the street from the harbour to the metro station, and journey time to the centre is appr. 25 mins (depending upon where you are staying).

Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town