We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 10 must see in Naxos in 3 days?

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
reviews: 2
Top 10 must see in Naxos in 3 days?

What is the top 10 must see in Naxos?

Which area is the best to stay for 3 nights?

Near St george Beach? = Agios Georgios Beach?

Sigma Studios? Good?

Athens, Greece
reviews: 1
1. Re: Top 10 must see in Naxos in 3 days?

Hello, happy festive season, !there are many, but if I had only 3 days,

*sunset at Portara and getting lost within the Kastro

If you're conscientuous about seeing the villages/landscapes, I suggest

* hire a car for a day trip - Chora {town} to Galando/Sagri/Chalki/Moni/-Filoti- hike to Zas Cave-Apieranthos for sunset and dinner {Lefteris tavern}.

Day's trip of the most picturesque villages, past ancient and Byzantine sites,and fertile Tragea region.

Re-St. George beach. Personally not a fan at all. Even for 3 days, I'll suggest anywhere from Ag Prokopios, to Plaka beach. Taxis are cheap, plentiful, and bus connections are well planned and efficient.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
2. Re: Top 10 must see in Naxos in 3 days?

For accomodation you should consider what is most important to you - staying AT the best beaches, or staying close to town (being able to walk for evening meals and eventual night life). St. George is in the outskirts of town and is a sandy beach, but shallow and crowded in the peak season.

The best beaches are southwest of town - like Agios Prokopios and Plaka (some 6 - 8 kms out of town). There are plenty of choices for accomodation in these resorts, as well.

The public bus service runs frequently, and the trip is appr. 10-15 mins from town. This works both ways - you may stay close to town and use the bus service for beaches during the day, or you may stay in the resorts and rely on the bus for evening meals etc. in town.

For 3 days I will suggest that you use one day for the beaches, one day for exploring Naxos town and Old Town, and one for a round trip around the island (rent a car makes you independant of public transport and time schedules).

In town Portara and the Old Town are must sees, and there are also several interesting museums. What else to recommend is very dependant upon your own interests - Naxos has a lot to offer. Historical sites, landscapes, beautiful mountain villages with the genuine way of life still present and undisturbed... Skip the Zeus cave - it has been closed for some time due to slides in the area - and rather take a full trip around the island - including Apollonas and the ancient Kouros there.

Here are some albums to give you some ideas of what it is like ("Lysbildevisning" means "View slideshow"):

Around the island trip

http://tinyurl.com/263q4g

Naxos Old Town

http://tinyurl.com/2bb44p

St. George Beach & area

http://tinyurl.com/yohbkg

Agios Prokopios, Agia Anna & Plaka

http://tinyurl.com/2bk8yf

Hope this helps.

ireland
reviews: 2
3. Re: Top 10 must see in Naxos in 3 days?

so any hotel recommanded? In town? I would rather see the town more than the beach actually. Beach? I can rely on the public transport. I would like to see the Portara and the old town. About renting a car, I am not keen to driving on the right as Ireland is driving on the other side. I am not brave enough except driving the quard-4 wheeler. I drove them on Santorini is fine. Great fun too..

Hm..3 days is not enough in Naxos? Should I change my plan a bit?

My plan was

Athens (3 nights)-Syros(3 nights)-Paros(3 nights)-Naxos(3 nights)-santorini (4 nights) then flight from santorini to Gatwick direct...Any idea for me? 26 may is not high season, right?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
4. Re: Top 10 must see in Naxos in 3 days?

My advice will be to skip one night from Santorini and adding this to Naxos.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
5. Re: Top 10 must see in Naxos in 3 days?

You can have a full trip around the island through one of the travel agencies on the waterfront - Zas travel makes an ordinary coack service for one day sightseeing, whereas Naxos Sun can organise a more independent trip separately for you.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
reviews: 39
6. Re: Top 10 must see in Naxos in 3 days?

Late May is definitely not high season. The weather should be sunny but cool in the evenings ( a light sweater is a good idea)

The wildflowers will be blooming and there will be just enough people around to make it interesting but not crowded.

Although your schedule is easily doable you should be aware of the time it takes to get from one Island to another. Even the one hour ferry ride between Paros and Naxos ends up eating up more than half a day by the time you check out of your hotel, wait for the ferry, arrive on Naxos and then find a hotel.

You will find that your three day stay on each island is really only two and a half days which means you are not likely to be able to do all you have planned on each island.

Based on 7 trips to Greece we have adjusted our island hopping to just a couple of Islands, where we really take our time to explore in depth.

Three nights in Naxos will be just enough time to scratch the surface of all it has to offer.

Just to tempt you here are our Naxos Pictures.

travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT

7. Re: Top 10 must see in Naxos in 3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town