We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

Which Arromanches-les-Bains hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South West England
Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

Hi,

Has anyone stayed at one of the little rental properties that are all listed under the same address of 22 Rue du Marechal Joffre in Arromanches?

We have booked to stay in one of these properties and judging by some photos that I have managed to see about this address, it looks like there is only the access from the pedestrianised section of this street.

Does anyone know if there is another way to enter the courtyard area of 22 Rue du Marechal Joffre?

We are arriving on a motorbike and we were told that it would be possible for us to park out bike in the courtyard, but another site says that parking is prohibited!!

Please help because we are hoping to be in Arromanches for the D Day celebrations and need to be able to keep the bike off road for safety during the weekend of the celebrations.

Thanks

JJ

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

I can't answer your question EXACTLY, BUT - you will find that France is not like England as far as Motorbikes are concerned. People are always keen to help you look after your 'pride & joy' out there. Most of them have been motorcyclists themselves once upon a time, even if they only had one of those litte 'put-put' Motos that you see all over the place (think Honda Melody, remember them??).

If you have been told you can put your bike in the courtyard, it is 10 to a penny (or should that be to a centiime?) that you CAN and that someone will help you squeeze it in there somehow.

Failing that, I am going to be cheeky and suggest that if you ask nicely, you might, as a contingency, be able to park up at the Normandy Beach B & B which is English Owned & very bike friendly, but I suspect you will be fine:

http://www.normandybeach.co.uk/

South West England
2. Re: Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

Hi Essexanderer

Thanks for your reply to my question. We have been to France on holiday on the bike for a number of years now and agree with you that French people are very helpful when it comes to parking the bike safely.

I am a bit concered that the owner of the property we are due to rent, said that we "might" be able to park our bike in the courtyard area (They don't live in northern France themselves). Where we are renting, turns out to be a group of small houses tucked in a courtyard area behind the main building of 22 Marechal Joffre (which seems to have a gallery as it's frontage). And we are staying for a week during the D Day celebrations so even the main car park outside the Museum will be out of use to vehicles during this time.

I've managed to find a couple of pics and details of another property from another owners web site and on their site they state that parking in the courtyard is prohibited except for loading/unloading from your car. Do you think that includes a motorbike?. Are we likely to get into trouble with the owners of the other properties and/or the police if we chance our arm and park alongside out rental property anyway during our stay?

Knowing what Arromanches is like for parking and small lanes/roads, we thought we had struck gold on finding this property, but it seems I may have for the first time in 5 years of holidays in France on the bike, been unlucky in this instance.

And yes, biggest boo boo, I have only just found out about the possible lack of parking outside the property since I have paid my deposit!

JJ

Essex
3. Re: Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

Yes janjjr, I see your problem - I know Arromanches at least well enough and would not like to have my bike 'out on the street' on a crowded parade/public day, but must say that the place you have rented sounds GREAT in lots of other ways.

Overall, I just have no answer to your dilemma!!

I suppose that at least you won't be leaving a massive great car in the courtyard, only a bike, but it only takes one other guest to object about that use of 'communal space' and then everyone has a miserable time eh??

Either you can 'chance-it' and find out, OR see if you can find alternative and safer parking some other way. I seem to remember there is a biggish Hotel slightly out of the main part of town (but still walkable to the seafront) in the Bayeux direction, perhaps you could park it up there for the day??

I'm sure it will be a lot clearer once you are on the spot, and I hope you get things worked-out somehow, GOOD Luck

EW

(PS can you tell if I am a Leftanderer or a Rightanderer??)

Essex
4. Re: Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

AH yes, found-it, the Hotel I had in mind is the Chanteclair I think, they have a fair bit of parking up there, and there is no harm in asking eh??

http://www.hotel-arromanches.fr/accueilgb.htm

South West England
5. Re: Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

Thanks for the information.....we'll certainly keep them in mind if it doesn't work out at the place we have rented.

What's this PS business?? "can you tell if I am a Leftanderer or a Rightanderer??"

lol

JJ

Edited: 10:53 am, April 30, 2010
Essex
6. Re: Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

You were right the first time janjjr

I'm an Essexanderer!

South West England
7. Re: Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

Sorry I realise my mistake now......I left off the W in your name.....typical trained typist who has too long fingernails.....Sorry again

Essex
8. Re: Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

No worries, I thought it was quite funny!!

9. Re: Arromanches - Access and Parking Problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Arromanches-les-Bains