We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granada as base camp?

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Granada as base camp?

Hi - we have about 9 days when our family can all travel together - kids are 20, 17, 12 - and are heading to Nicaragua. We need this to be a relaxing trip with some solid family time, but also need something to DO every day. We are not a sit-on-the-beach or resort-for-a-week kind of family. We're looking for mixture without having to move every two nights - we like hiking and being out of doors AND markets and museums. My husband and I have lived in and visited developing countries (2nd and 3rd world) but our children haven't. If we base ourselves in Granada, do you think we'll find enough day-trips to keep ourselves busy for 8 days? Or should we look at uprooting ourselves and heading for somewhere else? (Ometepe comes to mind.) This is a very last-minute trip and we are all busy-busy-busy until the day before we would leave, so we barely have time to pack, let alone do a lot of planning. Suggestions?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 51
11. Re: Granada as base camp?

<<I actually spent only two nights in Granada and felt like that was plenty,>> I have to agree. I only said maybe 3 or 4 meaning at the most. We spent 5 nights on Ometepe and easily could have stayed longer.

Agree too that the journey to Ometepe is not hard, we had fun on the ferry. It is an amazing place.

Chichiriviche...
reviews: 27
12. Re: Granada as base camp?

If you like to stay in a city with 100 of restaurants and bars Granada is good...Its there also very hot and noisy and sometimes dirty depens if the City pays the garbage truck workers.... If you prefer wake up calls by birds and monkeys and the sound of the jungle i would suggest Laguna de Apoyo as a base camp at least for a few days. There you can do hiking, birdwatching, kayak, sailing swimming relaxing and Granada, white villages, Masaya and National Park Vulkan Masaya are less than 1/2 hour away. And all mentioned attraction are closer to visit that from Granada...There are hotels who will organize tours and this trips and even cheaper than from Granada...But the Restaurant and Bar options are very limited..

13. Re: Granada as base camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 25, 2014