We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Miguel de...
reviews: 39
Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

I'll be in Granada for two weeks and love to start off the day with a mate. I've read that Nica coffee is absolutely superb, so will try it as well but generally the mate gives me a smoother "lift off".

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
1. Re: Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

Unfortunately the custom of drinking mate in Nicaragua is still something that we do not practice so i will recommend to bring your own.

San Miguel de...
2. Re: Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

Thanks Byron. Yes, I guess for us mate sippers it's BYO.

Bye the bye, did Jardin D'Orion go out of business? I read such good things about it but now have the feeling that it's fini'.

Edited: 11:21 pm, November 16, 2012
Nicaragua
reviews: 91
3. Re: Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

I don´t know if it tis sold in Granada, but in Managua you can buy TEA BAG yerba mate at supermarket, at La Union or La Colonia. Of course there´s no "bombilla" type mate.

San Miguel de...
4. Re: Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

I enjoy the loose leaf kind using the bombilla, but the mate cocido is an excellent alternative. Both kinds are widely available here in Miami but going through customs with it could be complicated because it can easily be confused with something contraband. My "transpo" is pre-arranged to take me to Granada directly from the airport in Managua. Maybe I should just put in my suitcase the mate cocido in its fresh, unopened package.

Thanks Apoyo, for reminding me of this alternative. I really appreciate your response.

Granada, Nicaragua
5. Re: Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

Geoffbob sometimes i sound like an emissary of bad news but is better to keep people inform and Unfortunately Jardin de orion is Close but now a day Granada has many nice spots to enjoy as Garden Cafe

San Miguel de...
6. Re: Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

Closed eh? Well, too bad. But ooooh... Garden Cafe looks great! I had it on my list but hadn't read this link you were kind enough to include. I promise to go there. I'm getting so excited I can't wait!

Now here is another one I'm afraid to ask about. Is 3 Finger Jimmy's Alabama Rib Shack also out of business?

Granada, Nicaragua
7. Re: Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

Yep, that was an awesome meal in town he moved to la calzada and then to the entrance of Managua but he is out business by now.

San Miguel de...
8. Re: Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

Out of business by now. Doh! Another one bites the dust. Hey, I'm going to open another thread about my restaurant list.

9. Re: Can I buy yerba mate in Granada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, December 16, 2013