We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

Hello,

I've booked a trip to Nicaragua in July and have also booked transportation from the airport in Managua to Granada. I'm arriving around 9pm. Normally i don't worry so much but I just read a US government warning about taxis being stopped by armed men and tourists being brutally attacked and left in remote areas. Now I'm a bit worried about arriving at night. Should arriving at this time be a concern of mine?

Thanks for your help!

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
1. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

I guess it depends on who you have booked the transfer with. If it is a reputable service, I can't imagine you having a problem, we have traveled extensively at night between the 2 and never had issues. Just "grabbing a cab" could be risky, but if you have booked a private transfer or used one recommended by the hotel, as I mentioned, you will be fine. Have a great holiday.

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
2. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

I have been working as a tour guide in Nicaragua for 10 or 11 years and lots of times i go to the airport mostly at night to pick tourist and i have never been robbed there and as Cajontraveler said if you picked a reputable service you will be fine, Just to mention that tourist have been robbed but in some areas in Managua than after been drinking take any taxy that´s where problems happend but don´t worry about that you will be fine, BTW which company did you ire to give you transportation to Granada

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

Thanks for your help and reassurances! I've travelled a lot alone before but after reading some horror stories it's enough to make you rethink your trip.

I booked some time at Granada Spanish Lingua school and they are sending someone to pick me up.

Byron, what company do you work for? Or are you independent? I'll probably want to book some tours once I'm there.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
4. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

Byron is a great choice with reasonable rates. When I stayed at The Colonial they recommended him highly. Sounds like your transfer should be trouble free.

Granada, Nicaragua
5. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

I Rachel, as i told you i have been working in tourism for the last 11 years and i work as a free lance if you need a guide please feel free to contact me at byronortega@hotmail.com.

Granada, Nicaragua
6. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

Cajon Traveller thanks for the reference, i try as hard so people have a nice experience in Nicaragua.

Comox, Canada
reviews: 196
7. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

You can also drop by the Casa San Francisco and look up Geovanny.

When I got in after 930 pm at MGA I was a bit concerned too.

I had arranged a private transfer from the Spanish school I went to Casa Xalteva. All was ok.

Geovanny has a driver Chip who I was so comfortable with I am going to get him to do my transfer next Feb

Managua, Nicaragua
reviews: 14
8. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

We have a friend of a friend staying with us this weekend, a midnight Spirit Airlines airport pickup, a few hours shuteye at our farm, then he feels the need to get to Granada by 8 am the next morning...phew! I'm kind of hoping he wakes up and sees how gorgeous it is at the farm that he'll not be in such a rush to get to Granada...my thought is that *nothing* is happening so early but not my call :)

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 24
9. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

I also had a driver from Casa Xalteva pick me up ...when I arrived, my suitcase stayed in Miami (flew from Ottawa)... I had the wrong phone number for the school ( to fill in the lost luggage form) ...and then, due to traffic,Omar was a bit late to pick me up!!..

.so my first 1/2 hr in Nica was terrible..

.but then Omar arrived, and we zoomed off to Granada and everything was GREAT...planning to go back again this winter

Bergen, Norway
reviews: 10
10. Re: Managua to Granada at night - solo female traveller

Hi

I am going to Nicaragua soon. I will arrive at 20.25 (8.25) at night 6th of December. As it is a holiday the 7th and my friends will be in Granada at my arrival, I was thinking of getting a taxi directly to Granada. I have found these guys on the internet: http://www.taximanagua.com/ Does anyone know them to be reliable. If anyone has a tip to where I could get to order a reliable taxi online I would be very grateful. I do not speak or write Spanish (I do speak Portuguese and can understand a bit Spanish if they speak slowly).