We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
reviews: 6
kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

we are heading from Costa Rica to Nicaragua with four kids in July.

any tips on fun things to do, awesome places to stay in Granada, SJDS, or anywhere else around there, also best way to cross the border either by bus or walking. any tips greatly appreciated to eliminate hassels with 4 youngsters in tow.

Kirkland, WA
reviews: 4
1. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

I don't know how old your kids are but we took our 8 & 9 year olds to Granada and San Juan Del Sur in November and had a geat time.

In Granada we liked taking horse drawn carriage rides everywhere we went, you can easily find them in the main square. One of our favorites was taking the carriage down to the lake and taking a boat around the islands. Make sure you stop at the bar island and but coconuts and relax in the hammicks. If you kids are old enough there are some great zip line trips a little outside of town.

In San Juan Del Sur our favorite day was a day where we drove about 40 minutes south of town and went to a beach named Playa del Coco. We had the entire beach to ourselves and had a great lunch at the north end of the beach at a charming little restaraunt right on the beach.

Enjoy your trip

Surfdad

San Diego
2. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

surfdad, thanks for the info. yes, they would like to zipline, any recommended?

all your suggestions sound right up our alley. these kids want adventure!

any further suggestions are great, any lodging you would recommend?

nancy

Kirkland, WA
3. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

We did a zip line at the base of Mombacho. You will likley drive right by it on the way from San Juan Del Sur to Granada or vice versa. We stopped at it on the day we drove from SJDS to Granada. Ask to see monkeys, we didn't see any while on the zip line itself but one of the guys took us out afterward and we saw plenty.

I will try to post a couple of our pictures of Granada, the Islands, zip lining and Playas de Coco.

Surfdad

Nicaragua
reviews: 46
4. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

Surfdad is correct, Granada will be the place for you to be with your family. There are hotels with different rates, depending on your budget. From here you can do different activities, tours of Granada combined with the Isletas, Masaya & the white towns, ziplining at the Mombacho Volcano and much more.

How do you plan to get to the border from Costa Rica? There are peole that can offer rpivate transfers from Costa Rica all the way to Granada and it will mak it easier for you sinc they have acees to getting out of the border quicker.

Kirkland, WA
5. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

We had a great stay in Granada at the Hotel Colonial. It is located just off the main square where everything seems to happen.

In San Juan Del Sur we stayed at Villas de palmero. They are nice townhouse's with a great pool and nice views. The one drawback is that it is about a 5 minute drive outside of town. It's no problem if you have a car or they have a shuttle that can take you in. It is very nice but not as "Nicaraguan" as many places you will stay. By this point in your trip you might want a little quiet relaxation. You'll be in the heart of the action in Granada.

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures from our trip, if anyone can let me know how to do that it would be helpfull.

Surfdad

San Diego
6. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

Hi, you mentioned private transfers across te border.

how can we find this? we will be crossing from Liberia Sat May Julyy 24.

is this weekend worse (busier) for crossing.

also where do you recommend staying near Granada (with pool for kids).

Nancy

Managua
7. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

You cant 'drive' over the border in a rental car!

Get a transfer off Papagayo Tours in Playa Hermosa, but they can pick up elsewhere.

On the Nicaragua side there are people that can pick you up and take you to Granada.

If you're flying out of Managua its best to stop at SJDS first.

There was some 'funny business' a couple of months ago with the zip line operators at Mombacho, a 'turf war or something and my friends here that are tour agents werent sending visitors there.

IMO the zip line near SJDS is better anyway!

If theres 6 of you including kids I'd recommend getting someone to book everything for you, transporets, hotels, tours etc.

Try these guys:

http://www.nicaraguavacationpackages.com

Nicaragua
reviews: 1
8. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

Hello.

I just came back from a wonderful vacation in Nicaragua Sjds and Ometepe Island in march 28th. My husband and 2 teenagers kids had a great time thanks to an amazing staff in Sjds. we found them online and kept in touch with them even before we arrived to Nicaragua. We got to Nicaragua in the middle of the Hollyweek "semana santa" the border was sooo Busy we thought that we were gonna go back to Liberia, our surprise is that the driver of Macua Tours in Nicaragua Rafael is an ex immigration officer and our tour guide´s uncle is one of the supervisors at the immigration office, it only took us 15 minutes to stamp all of our passports in the middle of thousands of people there. I hired Macua Tours for all of my transfers from peñas blancas to sjds or ometepe. They work in partnership with a beautiful eco boutique hotel in san juan del sur ( www.surfzoneresorts.com ) . The tour operator webpage is www.macuatours.com or you can also find them on facebook: Macua Tours S.A. I will always higly recommend them, using their services is something that you will not regret if you do please write me back. They are amazing. Good Luck, July is a really busy month at the border...

Granada, Nicaragua
9. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

There is a new hotel in Granada called Mombacho Beach Club.

It started as a pool and spa and has recently expanded to a hotel also.

We have not stayed there but I've seen the rooms and they are very nice. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the pool though. Since there's a spa there too - I sneak away for a pedi-mani (for about $15) too!

10. Re: kids, border crossing to Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 14, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Granada
Recent Conversations