We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations......reservations???

Which Ko Chang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Reservations......reservations???

Hi, I am planning on travelling from Bangkok to Ko Chang on the 2nd of January by 1st Class bus and stay for about a week at the Ko Chang Oasis (largely based on the great reviews of ppl from this site...thanks), are the buses travelling to Trat normally very full? Would it be necessary to make a reservation?? And do you think it would it be difficult to get a room there?

I have refrained from booking anything to this stage but my accomodation in Bangkok as I've been trying to remain as flexible as possible.

Also is it necessary to make reservations for activities on the island eg. Elephant trekking, Cooking Courses @ blue lagoon etc??

Or would I be able to book these once I arrive at the island only a few days in advance or do you think they would be full up by then?

Sorry for all the questions this is my first big overseas trip and not really sure how to approach the planning...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
1. Re: Reservations......reservations???

Buses and all other forms of transport will be very full and most local travelers planning a journey around that time would have been already.

Arriving Koh Chang at that time without accommodation you may find yourseldf at the mercy of the first person who says they know where you can get accommodation, it just makes simple sense to book ahead, you are traveling on one of the busiest days of the year and staying over the peak period for both domestic and overseas travelers, my tip Davo is get yourself booked up !

Ian will no doubt add to this as he stays on KC.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
2. Re: Reservations......reservations???

That should read most local travelers would have already booked their transport. As there is no rail line the route sown to Trat province by bus would I guess be particularly busy.

Ian will give you more info no doubt.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
reviews: 7
3. Re: Reservations......reservations???

By the 2 Jan everyone who was planning on leaving Bkk for the New year holiday will have already done so and people will be starting to head back to Bkk. So you'll be able to get a bus to Koh Chang without any trouble.

If you havent already got a bungalow at Oasis sorted then email them through their website - http://oasis-kohchang.com/contact.html - or give them a call. Since October, there have been new owners in place but they are nice people and are spending money to improve the resort.

No need to make reservations more than 24 - 48 hours in advance for activities. Sort this out when you are on KC, a good alternative to Blue Lagoon cooking school is Ka-Ti Culinary which is on the main road about 400 metres away. Same price as Blue Lagoon and also has good, fun English speaking teacher.

The elephants tend to fill up quickly - but it depends on if you have a preference for where you go trekking. I recommend Baan Kwan Chang in the north fo koh Chang - as it's well away from the road, hotels etc and is a nice laid back place. They will fill up pretty quickly so if you wan tto have a choice about when you go -book a couple of days in advance.

Stuff like snorkelling can easily be booked a day in advance - plenty of big boats going out to the islands for 550 - 600 baht/day trip.

Australia
4. Re: Reservations......reservations???

Thanks Ian,

I'll take that on board. Can you recommend any private bus companies to take down to Koh Chang, I've tried numerous times to call the government-run line but no answer??

Called the TAT office in Sydney, they gave me the number of AVIATION??

Cheers again mate, think I owe you a beer when I get there...

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
reviews: 7
5. Re: Reservations......reservations???

You cant go wrong with any of the bus companies that leave from Ekkamai Bus station to the ferry pier for Koh Chang or to Trat. Cherdchai are a bit faster and have the better buses - no idea of a number for them though. But there's no point calling in advance, they dont take credit card bookings and are unlikely to hold a ticket for someone calling from Oz. Just turn up and you'll get a bus OK on the 2nd

The TAT exisit to accrue statistics, everytime you call and ask for info you ar e acustomer, the more times you call back after you were given crap info the more customers they have. when you dont call back that means you're a satisfied customer. At the end of the year they have thousands of customers and also thousands of satisfied customers - but zero unsatisfied ones. So everyone stays in a job for another 12 months.

6. Re: Reservations......reservations???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 19, 2009