We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Vernon site tours

San Francisco...
reviews: 28
Mount Vernon site tours

My husband & I will be staying with family in the Fairfax area for the long Thanksgiving weekend, and were planning on visiting Mount Vernon for a day. In addition to the Candlelight tour (which looks great!), we were thinking of taking perhaps one other guided tour as well.

Can you give feedback on these tours?

- National Treasure

- Dinner with the Washingtons

- Through My Eyes

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
pasadena
reviews: 1
1. Re: Mount Vernon site tours

I have done the National Treasure tour with my 2 children, 6 and 11, and we all enjoyed it. My 11 year old son in particular really enjoyed hearing about how they changed the plot of the movie because of Mount Vernon. We will be taking the Through my Eyes tour this weekend. I will update my post at that time.

pasadena
2. Re: Mount Vernon site tours

I took the Through My Eyes tour of Mount Vernon this weekend. I brought along my 13 year old son and one of his friends. We all enjoyed the tour. You are guided by "Christopher Lee", General Washingtons personal valet. The year is 1797, they have just returned from DC and are now returning to private life. The tour covers the daily schedule of the household, the staff, George and Martha Washington, and of course, the schedule and lives of his slaves. Since Christopher Lee was a slave you get a very interesting look at slave life at Mount Vernon. If you take the tour ask "Christopher" about his grandfather Billy Lee, General Washingtons private valet during the revolutionary war, great historical information. The tour guides at Mount Vernon really know their stuff.

I hope that this helps. You really need an entire day at Mount Vernon, and don't forget to check out the gift shop on your way out. They have some great one of a kind gifts.

Edited: 2:45 pm, November 18, 2012
pasadena
3. Re: Mount Vernon site tours

One last thing, the 3rd floor of Mount Vernon, which is rarely opened to the public is open during the holiday season, so you get more bang for your buck, and there will be a camel visiting Mount Vernon right after Thanksgiving. If you have kids they will love it. Apparently Washington rented a camel for the holidays, much to the delight of the children.

San Francisco...
reviews: 28
4. Re: Mount Vernon site tours

Thanks so much for reporting back, Christina! We probably only have time to take one tour, so do you recommend National Treasure (we have not seen the movie, BTW) or the Through My Eyes? We do plan on booking the Christmas at Mount Vernon including the Candlelight tour, so we'll be there for at least 8 hours :)

Reply to: Mount Vernon site tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted