We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Vernon by Bike & Boat

Chicagoland
reviews: 2
Mount Vernon by Bike & Boat

Has anyone taken the Bike and Boat tour of Mount Vernon offered through Bike & Roll DC? We enjoy biking and it sounds fun, but will it be too tiring? I've heard there is lots of walking at Mt. Vernon, so is adding a 10 mile bike ride too much? Also, would you get there too late for tickets or anything? And is there enough time then for everything before taking the boat ride back? Thanks for any info!!

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
1. Re: Mount Vernon by Bike & Boat

I have not done this tour, but I have ridden my bike to Mt. Vernon. The ride is not particularly hard except for the last part near Mt. Vernon which is a lot of uphill riding. Since it is at the end of your 10-mile ride, you may want to get off your bike and walk some, so take that into account when planning how long it will take you to ride to Mt. Vernon.

Looking at the Potomac Riverboat website, I see that the boat you would take back to Alexandria leaves Mt. Vernon at 4pm. I would allow a minimum of 3 hours to see the museum, visit the house and grounds and get a bite of lunch. There will be a fair bit of walking at Mt. Vernon, but it might feel good after biking for awhile. So, if you can finish your bike ride to Mt. Vernon by 12:30 - 1pm, then I think you have enough time to see most of what there is to see at Mt. Vernon. (Of course, if you get there earlier, that's even better.)

2. Re: Mount Vernon by Bike & Boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 16, 2011