We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking near Middleburg?

Which Middleburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 24
Hiking near Middleburg?

My husband and I are spending the weekend in Middleburg in August. As it is our anniversary and our first time away from our 9 month-old, we're looking to make it a special but relaxing weekend. Can anyone recommend a nice scenic hiking trail (maybe easy to moderate)? Also, any other recommended things to do would be appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 37
1. Re: Hiking near Middleburg?

If you like history, you might visit Harper's Ferry. It isn't far and has some places to walk around out doors.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
reviews: 152
2. Re: Hiking near Middleburg?

If you don't mind driving about an hour one way, you can reach the following:

Shenandoah River State Park for Ziplinning with VA Canopy Tours (reviews on TA incl mine)........

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g57504-d59…

Downriver Canoe Co take a relaxing kayak/canoe/tube on the Shenandoah River, natural movement in the river makes it great, reviews here incl mine........

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g57504-d33…

Shenandoah National Park many nice trails incl Mary's Rock, Rose River Loop, Appalachian Trail. Also, here is a resource I often use for researching hikes.............

http://virginiatrailguide.com/trail-index/

Hope this helps

Maryland
reviews: 5
3. Re: Hiking near Middleburg?

The Virginia State Arboretum http://blandy.virginia.edu/arboretum is near Middleburg, is free of charge, is always open, and has flat, easy terrain.

Falls Church...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Hiking near Middleburg?

Purcellville is the terminus for the W&OD trail. Goes all the way to Alexandria and is popular with cyclists and joggers. It's paved and relatively flat. Purcellville has a nice little downtown but I'm not as familiar with what the trail is like out that way. Great option if you have access to bicycles.

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 533
5. Re: Hiking near Middleburg?

The above posts are nice, but if you want hiking that is close, drive 10 miles west down Route 7 from Middleburg, pass Upperville and you will come to the the famous Appalachian Trail. Beautiful hike through the woods, can do an "out and back" trip. There is a parking lot in Ashby Gap off of Blue Ridge Mountain Road (it is a tight turn to the right off of Rt. 7), and a parking lot will be on the left hand side maybe .25-.5 miles up the hill. Sky Meadows is on the South side of Rt. 7 at the same location as above, great views and hiking. All of which is free, close, beautiful. Enjoy.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville
reviews: 134
6. Re: Hiking near Middleburg?

Greetings!

Bull Run Mountains Loop, 5 mi. Broad Run, VA.

Sky Meadows State Park. 5 mi. Paris, VA.

I hope this helps.

fairfax, virginia
7. Re: Hiking near Middleburg?

I believe you mean Rt 50 - not Rt 7.

Reply to: Hiking near Middleburg?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Middleburg