We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz

Which Martinsville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 4
Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz

We are going to Florida & I was thinking as a surprise on our way home (road trippin it) we'd go to Sprint race on April 1. My hubby would LOVE it and I think my kids would as well. They have never been - always felt it was not a kids scene being to MIS only in the past. Is it worth it though to come in LATE Saturday night probably stay in Greensboro, sleep, get up early Sunday & go to the track? Is it kid friendly? Is it insane getting there in the AM - I mean do we need HOURS to plan on a 1 hr drive but due to traffic?

Any & all advice would be great!

7 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 57
1. Re: Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz

Haven't been to Martinsville for a few years (since the private owners sold it), but I remember it as a very family friendly place. Smaller than big speedways (we live near Lowe's) and easier to get to. When we went to the Sprint race, we drove up through Greensboro (we live closer to Lowe's in Concord) and remarked that the traffic wasn't that bad (creeping, but not stopped) once we got close to Martinsville. It certainly wasn't a major problem in North Carolina.

I say, go for it! I 'surprised' hubby by stopping at the track in Martinsville when we were 'driving by' and getting tickets to a race, and he loved it. Not much passing at that track (pretty flat), but good short track racing.

You might be able to get a few more responses to your questions if you post on the North Carolina forum with something like 'Greensboro - Martinsville VA for April Sprint Cup race'. There are tons of race fans that make the trip up from North Carolina and they should have many good suggestions.

Salem, VA
reviews: 8
2. Re: Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz

I'm a WRC (rally race) fan so I had to consult my BFF, who goes to Martinsville for just about every race. I read your post to her on the phone this morning and she said, "Tell her to absolutely go! They'll love it." She said the best part about Martinsville (in addition to their famous hot dogs) is that every seat is a good seat. There are lots of activities for the kids around the vendor area. For example, racing simulators and games that they can win cool prizes. She also said what ncpat said above, that it wasn't bad at all to get in and out of the track. If you really want to splurge, she said to go for a pit pass for your hubby and he will be forever in your debt.

Safe travels!

Michigan
3. Re: Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz

Awesome - thank you both... .I have been questioning it but this helps a lot!!

Salem, VA
reviews: 8
4. Re: Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz

Hope you have a great time! You'll have to post a trip report to let us know how it went.

Martinsville...
reviews: 234
5. Re: Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz

I live in Martinsville and you will love the race. The local hotels have reduced their rates this year. Go to this site for all the local options. http://www.visitmartinsville.com/index.cfm/go/blog.details/ID/249/Lodging-Options-for-the-Goody's-500

Stay local to get more of the race-town excitement.

Annandale
reviews: 44
6. Re: Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz

I agree Martinsville is great although compared to a large track it's far more difficult to keep track of running order for other than front runners.

Take ear plugs and most of all make sure you get jesse jones hot dogs -- I have them for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Michigan
7. Re: Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz

Thank you all for the advice! if we go I'll be sure to let you know how it went

Reply to: Sprint RaceOnly - 2 kids, come in night b4 - Need Advice Plz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Martinsville
More Martinsville Topics