We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Picking a Hotel

Which Lynchburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
reviews: 150
Help Picking a Hotel

I will be with friends in the Lynchburg area for 1 night around March/April and need a well kept mid range hotel with continental breakfast. Looking at reviews in the Hotel section, both Springhill Suites and Wingate seem to meet our needs. They are similar in price and amenities. Does anyone know of reasons to pick 1 over the other? Thanks for your advice.

3 replies to this topic
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: Help Picking a Hotel

We have met family at some of the hotels in Lynchburg over the years.

Differences:

One consideration may be that SHS is the newest one in the area. Just fresh new upscale lobby and current attractive decor.

If you choose Wingate, try to get a front "view" room. The hotel is high above the city and the view rooms can give a spectacular view of city and mountains by day, magnificent sunsets and pretty city lights way in the distance by night.

Wingate's pool is off the breakfast area in a big glass enclosure, so it's interior. SHS's pool is outside.

I don't remember that Wingate has a refrigerator and microwave...maybe some suites. Check on that part.

These two have a lot of similarities.

Their locations are not too far apart either. Likely not enough to make one choose one over the other.

Springhill is south of the airport, if that's a consideration. It's the last one along there...but not much further than the others.

SHS and Wingate are about equidistant to restaurant row and the plaza with all the big box stores. You can ski easily year round at Liberty Mountain from either hotel really.

SHS is along the highway south of the enormous Liberty University campus.

Wingate is on that hill behind the campus....hence the view.

I remember the young people in our groups enjoyed Wingate's pool and some of the grownups sat at the large breakfast area just on the other side of the glass wall doing our own thing. A couple of adults were always in the pool area watching our younger ones but it was nice to have that glass wall to look through every now and then and such a handy seating area. We would get together there, order pizzas, bring sodas and have our family gathering there. No one every said that was a problem. This would be in the evening after the day's outside activities. (We always offered the person at the nearby desk soda and pizza as well.)

Others...adults...have loved the newness and stylish look of the new SHS.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
reviews: 150
2. Re: Help Picking a Hotel

Wow, thanks explorer3. For me, what you said about the front view rooms at Wingate seals the deal but the others may prefer SHS. We will be traveling from Lynchburg for a visit to Appomattox Courthouse and then home to Virginia Beach. I appreciate your detailed answer, you are always so helpful.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
3. Re: Help Picking a Hotel

Happy to help. Have a terrific trip.

Reply to: Help Picking a Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted