We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Time from Lexington to Asheville on the BRP

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
reviews: 4
Driving Time from Lexington to Asheville on the BRP

Hello,

I'd like to drive from Lexington, VA to Asheville, NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am wondering how long it will take without stops, just so I can see if it is feasible to incorporate a stop to Asheville while I'm in Lexington.

Thanks!

Nina

5 replies to this topic
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
reviews: 139
1. Re: Driving Time from Lexington to Asheville on the BRP

Lexington VA to Asheville NC is about 340 miles, generally speed limit is 45mph, sometimes slower speed is necessary. Non-stop drive time would be between 8-9 hours via the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can always enjoy driving the BRP for as long as time and schedule allows, then exit for the rat race on I81 or other to make better time.

nps.gov/blri/…blrimap-2.pd

Hope this helps

Maryland
reviews: 6
2. Re: Driving Time from Lexington to Asheville on the BRP

Be aware that I-81 has TWICE the ratio of tractor-trailers in the traffic mix, as do other interstates highways.

Connecticut
reviews: 4
3. Re: Driving Time from Lexington to Asheville on the BRP

Thanks a lot for your responses goneagain and MarylandMist.

We decided it might be too ambitious to go all the way to Asheville and are considering driving the BRP from Lexington to Boone. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? How long will this take?

We're thinking that the following morning we'll drive a little farther on the BRP -- perhaps as far as the Linn Cove Viaduct and then get back on the highway and drive back to Lexington. Any thoughts on this?

Didn't realize it would be so tough planning this! We have only 2 days to drive the BRP from Lexington and then on the 3rd day we have to start heading back to southern CT. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Dundee, United...
4. Re: Driving Time from Lexington to Asheville on the BRP

Hi... Did you manage Lexington to Asheville in 1 day? We are planning sane journey at end of August. Heading from Washington to lexington via Charlottesville and stay 1 night in Lexington before heading to Asheville for 2 nights. Wondering if we could come off the BRP for a bit of the journey to speed it up a bit ?

North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 38
5. Re: Driving Time from Lexington to Asheville on the BRP

The BRP is currently closed for a large section between Mt Mitchell and Asheville. Here's a link for the current info nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

The Park Service is suggesting a detour that adds about 15 minutes to the driving time - Exit the BRP onto NC80 north, then West on US19 and South on I26 to Asheville. It's also a lovely drive.

As for making it from Lexington to Asheville on the BRP in one day - that would be a very long day with little time to look around. One option to 'speed it up a bit' would be to drive south from Lexington on I81, head south on I77 to Fancy Gap, Va where you can pick up the BRP and drive south (via the detour) to Asheville. You could also exit the BRP near Linville Falls and use 19E (heading west) to Asheville - about 1.5 hours drive time. That area is beautiful, gorgeous views.

Edited: 9:21 am, August 12, 2013
Reply to: Driving Time from Lexington to Asheville on the BRP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted