We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Leesburg from DC Union Station

Which Leesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
Getting to Leesburg from DC Union Station

I need to get close to Leesburg from DC Union Station on a Saturday. All of the comments are over 5 years old on this subject. Any recommendations??

5 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Getting to Leesburg from DC Union Station

1. Rent a car.

2. Take a cab ($100?)

3. Get yourself to Dulles Airport (see DC forum for choices), then cab from airport ($40?)

4. Maybe Amtrak to Brunswick, Md, then a cab, but I don't know if the train runs Saturdays.

That's about it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Getting to Leesburg from DC Union Station

Assuming you will have to get back again, I would say most cost/time effective would be renting a car.

If you are going for cheap, then metro/bus to Dulles Airport as suggested above and then a car from there. But really, that would be cheapest, not cheap.

Also with Saturdays, public transportation runs on much slower intervals than on weekdays. Where one would expect a train/bus every 5 to 10 minutes turns into 45+. Also weekends is when Metro does track work.

If it were me-and I had to be there without fail for an important event, I'd rent the car.

Edited: 7:25 am, October 02, 2013
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
1 review
3. Re: Getting to Leesburg from DC Union Station

My picks, First is rent a car.

Second is take the bus to IAD and then SuperShuttle to Leesburg.

Third, Subway to Taxi.

Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Getting to Leesburg from DC Union Station

Google

transportation union station dc to dulles airport

Lots of choices offered, limo, bus, shuttle, etc. Never tried it myself. good luck!

Level Contributor
788 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Getting to Leesburg from DC Union Station

Do you bicycle? You can bring a bike, or there is a place at union station to rent bicycles. The town website says you can take the rail trail to Purcellville right by Leesville. The Potomac Pedalers is the bicycle club in DC, their website has info on rail trails and bicycling around DC.

I have ridden the bicycle trail from Mount Vernon to LincolnMemorial, nice ride.

Reply to: Getting to Leesburg from DC Union Station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Leesburg