We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homestead vs. Greenbrier

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
60 posts
136 reviews
Homestead vs. Greenbrier

My husband and I are debating over which resort is a better place for us to stay for my birthday. We're looking forward to spa treatments and an overall romantic getaway. Room/bathroom cleanliness is very important to us. I've read both good and bad reviews for both places, but would like opinions from people. Any advice helps. Thanks.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Homestead vs. Greenbrier

Happy Birthday. What a nice gift.

Well, all these reviews are the opinions written by people. I just typed the word homestead into the little empty box on top the list of questions on the Virginia forum, which brings one to recent past posts, and on the first page of 9 separate topic posts regarding the Homestead (one was a repeat) I reponded eight times. I did that at first thinking I'd just copy one to you...but didn't realize I had so many. So just put homestead in that little empy box, click go and lots of people's recent responses to posts about the Homestead will come up. Do this on the VIRGINIA forum, since there are opinions on the Homestead on the Wmsbg, Hot Springs, and Virginia forums...so Virginia will cover it all.

In brief, we love both resorts, find both friendly, grand, beautiful, enjoy the amenities at both and find both clean. They are not that far from each other. The Homestead is on 15,000 acres, the Greenbrier I believe 6500. We enjoy the hiking in the Alleghenies at the Homestead. Haven't done shooting at clay pigeons at Greenbrier...somehow I enjoy that target shooting stuff and yet would only shoot a real animal if my family were starving. And don't know about the skiing at Greenbrier...what they provide. But enjoy both at The Homestead. It might be that the Homestead is a little more affordable at certain times of the year. What time of year are you going....weather might make a difference.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
16 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Homestead vs. Greenbrier

This topic was a few years ago - but after two visits to the Homestead and a sinking desire to go to the Greenbrier, I am curious as to what anyone can tell me about...

What does the Greenbrier have that makes up for the higher prices? Are the rooms that much better? I know Homestead has skiing, which Greenbrier does not. What activities does the greenbrier have (and any info on the tunnels, specifically) that homestead does not?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Homestead vs. Greenbrier

Here's a handy comparison the Washington Post did.

washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/…resortschart.pdf

When I read it in the actual paper I think I noticed a few things they left out. I'll reread it all again and if that's still the case I'll post again.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Homestead vs. Greenbrier

This is actually the one I meant to post for you:

susanlmorse.com/clips/…media4.pdf

This, of course, might throw Bedford Springs into the mix for you (north of you instead of south). You might also put Pinehurst on your list for future reference. Oh...don't get me started. We love historic hotels. I will say one difference with Pinehurst is the flat land instead of mountains, the pine needles crunching underfoot and the climate of the Sandhills of NC, which is more temperate...in case that is something you're looking for at some point.

5. Re: Homestead vs. Greenbrier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, August 25, 2009