We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
southern VA
reviews: 1
Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

I have always wanted to stay there, I would love to get a special of some kind. How do you know how much things cost, I can't find any information on the web, like is breakfast included. If not how much? Do they add in the tip, or can you put it on the credit card? I don't like to be shocked at the bill, like to know in advance. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

You're at their site, right? So put your brower pointer on, not clicking yet, 'rates and specials'. Down will come a menu. Click on the first one, 'nightly rates'. Here is it: www.thehomestead.com/nightly-room-rates.asp (But read below toward the bottom for my update.)

On that same drop down menu is 'special offers'. That will take you to good rates and packages. Look at that Christmas tree on the Christmas Package index card!

Note where it says on their regular rates, not necessarily packages, that rates are per person. There are specials when the rate is per couple, like at Valentine's.

Here's what they say is included:

"Your stay includes room accommodations, breakfast and dinner daily, Afternoon Tea, use of hiking trails, the Fitness Center, the spring-fed Indoor Pool, outdoor pool, historical programs, nightly movies in our turn-of-the-century Theatre, valet parking, phone access fees and shuttles to resort activities. Children 6-18 years of age stay free (room only) when sharing with a parent. Children under the age of 6 stay and eat free.

The 2006/2007 rates listed below are per person, per night, based on double occupancy. Children under 6 stay free in-room with parents, and are included with their parents meal plan at no additional cost. Please contact us for single occupancy rates, charges for children ages 6 to 12, upgraded room features, and extra adults sharing a room."

There's also bowling indoors, for a small fee. The Jefferson Pools are not too expensive at all and neither is some of the shooting, if you like that. I think the falconry was not too high either. But they don't have the falcons out in the terrible cold.) I have friends who loved the horseback riding. Of course, golf is great, but expensive as is often the case with golf.

We have gone during terribly cold spans of days and were perfectly happy with all there is to do indoors...included in the price. I should say, there are also rates I've seen printed from The Homestead with breakfast only and even with no meals at all. It's worth it to have breakfast. It can last till dinner if you're not doing a lot of physical exercise such as hiking or skiing. It is beautifully done too, especially when it's in the more elegant ballroom. There are a couple of deli type places right across the street from the resort...going out the back door at the spa to avoid the cold weather...to save a little. There's also a cafe and pub in the resort...but remember to check on hours of operation.

But...the stuff that's included....the pool is actually spring fed by those healing springs and I know I feel better afterwards and come home feeling healed often. There's fun entertainment at different times of year. Just walking around the enormous place is an experience...beautiful decor, great photo ops, great history and architecture; relaxing Library...dark wicker furniture, lounges; lovely private rooms beautifully decorated; tea in the Great Hall or Crystal Ballroom, which I like. It's fun to just look at the lovely things in the shops, without even purchasing. Use the fitness center, hike, restore in the pool, enjoy afternoon tea, see a movie - they usually even have fresh popcorn; maybe take a trip up to the ski lodge even if you don't ski; enjoy any of the programs and tours they offer...all included. Hmmmm, I'm talking myself into a trip soon...especially after looking at those rates. Enjoy!

southern VA
2. Re: Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

Oh, thank you, this is such good information. I guess we will be able to go after all. I was there at least 30 years ago, just looking around as we were passing through. My husband and I both said we need to stay here one day. As I remember it was so beautiful. I do remember a sign that required a dress code. Ladies can just wear something like you would wear to church or a business type dress, right. I mean they don't require a dress do they? I have also looked at the Greenbriar. That wouldn't be too far and looks so elegant. These old type hotels are just so classy in my opinion. If you think of anything else please feel free to add it. Thanks again!

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
3. Re: Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

During the day, the old uni-s*x prep look is good...collared polo shirt or long sleeved shirt and beige or navy slacks. No jeans and tanks. In the evening, church clothes are great. Around Christmas you will notice many people in lovely ball gowns, even little children dressed to the nines in velvet and satin and large bows. But that is not eveyone by any means. It's just dependent on how dressy one wants to be for an occasion. Dress slacks are okay for women too. Men need...what was it...a jacket and tie for supper there I think it is. If you're eating elsewhere and enjoying the Great Hall later, shirt under a nice sweater seems to be okay.

You would probably also like Pinehurst Resort in NC which is in the same family of hotels, although their prices have gotten so high. You can enjoy the facilities, though, their beautiful great room and pub and grounds with pine needle strewn sandy soil, the historic architecture, spa, quaint town all without actually staying at Pinehurst resort itself.

southern VA
4. Re: Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

Do you have to tip the bellman and all the people? Since the place is kinda old and turn of the century type of service.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
5. Re: Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

Well, here you get into the service fee. There's always a service fee, even eating out at home. Here's their info:

"Service Fee:

Your package is subject to a 15% resort service fee that includes valet parking, afternoon tea, use of the fitness center and pools, nightly movies, phone access charges, on-property transportation as well as gratuities for housekeeping staff and dining personnel. A 17% service fee is added to all a la carte food and beverage charges. A 20% service fee is also added to any Spa charges incurred for Spa attendants. Additional tipping at your discretion. Subject to state and local taxes."

What that means is you don't have to tip anyone additionally. We'll tip the valet who gets the car in the freezing weather and sometimes waiters and housekeepers, especially when we develop a rapport with them.

southern VA
6. Re: Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

That is exactly what I was asking, do people tip in addition to the tip automatically added. Ok, I get it, if they really should be tipped. That is the way I would prefer it anyway. I think service is better if they have a reason to give you good service. Thanks so much for all your help. We just need to decide when now. I am thrilled! I have always wanted to stay and when it was thought about again this year and I looked at the prices I just could not do it. Hope they know how much help you are, better than an advertisement, in my opinion. LOL! Hope you get to go soon too, have a wonderful holiday season!

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
7. Re: Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

You too. Be sure to ask about different packages and different meal plans...just one meal, two or all three...although 3 in our opinion was just too much to eat there! And I have seen somewhere printed info on room alone with no meals. And be sure to understand whether the rate is per person or per couple. Enjoy! I know you will. (Oh, don't be worried about asking at the desk what is included and if they have any tours you can read about, etc. You may be referred to the guest services desk. There are usually a couple of tours going on especially during busy times.)

8. Re: Always wanted to stay at the Homestead, need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 18, 2009