We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow and Roads Around the Homestead

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Snow and Roads Around the Homestead

Well, it looks like the upcoming week may be quite an adventure, weather-wise! Just in case the Hot Springs area becomes a late-winter wonderland, do I need to be concerned about the roads heading to The Homestead? The 511 app should be a help, but, in general, how is highway (and secondary) snow removal in the area? Friends are heading out there from Newport News on Friday, the 8th.

Shivery thanks!

4 replies to this topic
central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: Snow and Roads Around the Homestead

I went once after a fair snowfall and was there once during an unexpected snowfall. Once the storm was over, 81 and 64 east of 81 were okay and they really did a good job on 220 up to the resort. Not sure how you're coming. I don't know how the smaller 42 and 39 would be, nor the roads west out of Staunton. That area is supposed to get the brunt according to latest reports.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
2. Re: Snow and Roads Around the Homestead

Many thanks, Explorer3! I can't stop watching the Weather Channel; the next few days look *interesting*...

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
3. Re: Snow and Roads Around the Homestead

Power knocked out for hundreds of thousands from about middle of Va west and on up north. The worst snow is in Augusta County at 20" and piling on I heard earlier. Augusta county has Staunton at its center and is just about Warm Springs and Hot Springs. During the day, Rts. 60 and 29 were closed because of trees actually falling on the roads...wet heavy snow and wind. And logging trucks, tractor trailers and other trucks sliding into ditches.

So lots of tree cutting, truck hauling etc that it is said will take days. And getting the power back up is another story.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
4. Re: Snow and Roads Around the Homestead

Wow! I appreciate the update. Here in Hampton Roads, we had heavy rains and wind gusts but we missed the Snowquester. I shall pass your helpful info along right away.

Reply to: Snow and Roads Around the Homestead
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted