We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to eat

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 38
places to eat

looked at menu at main dine at homestead and nothing sounded too good to me. any suggestiond for places to eat in the area? prefer not fancy so we dont have to pack too much

16 replies to this topic
central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: places to eat

You don't need to leave the hotel itself in order to eat. We always enjoy a bite or early or late lunch at Martha's Market in the hotel itself. If you go when the weather agrees you can take your meal out the old school screen door (love those things) and eat on the veranda. Or eat near the fire if it's a cold day and they have it lit. They have salads, sandwiches, water, juices, coffees, tea, etc. and delicious bakery items made at the Homestead. It's very small and casual. Check their hours.

There's the Players Club too for salads, wraps, pizza, fries, nachos, that kind of fare...and pool. Again check their hours.

I guess you're already familiar with the 1766 Grille as a Main Dining Room alternative.

Outside the main hotel is a restaurant at the tennis courts and another at the Golf Course.

And nearby, walking out the back door so to speak , is Sam Sneads which is an offsite Homestead restaurant. Historic and cozy. We always enjoyed their food and service. (Make reservations)

There's also a Subway/Duck Inn just sort of around the corner on Main St. Nice service and very handy to take out, although I believe I've seen tables there. We've always had ours to go.

New York City, New...
2. Re: places to eat

thank you. have you done the hike? if so is it very hard or just a little. i am a bit out of shape. have you gone to the jefferson hot springs? have you golfed the cascades(my hisband will).

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
3. Re: places to eat

I haven't golfed myself but know people who have and they seemed to like it. It's sort of part of a wonderful historic experience. The Hot Springs were good; fyi, the pool in the hotel is also spring fed so if you don't feel like going off site you might enjoy that. I don't know if their tap water is spring fed too but we have always noticed if we have a paper cut or those winter fingertip sort of cuts, or dry winter hands...clears right up when we're there.

I don't know if you're aware of The Homestead's additions for the summer...family adventure area, mini golf, a new spa center, fabulous pools.

http://thenextchapter.thehomestead.com/

The hiking trails are not bad. We always explored a little without a guide but with friends. I remember at one time they were offering guided hikes and some people would say ooo you need to go with a guide. And now it seems they offer maps at the desk and say the trails are "all yours to explore". There are trails that are easy to harder. Get the map when you get there and hopefully the activities director can direct you. They should be marked on the map easy..etc. anyway. As much as I love the woods alone I always advise people these days to go with others, not alone.

New York City, New...
4. Re: places to eat

thank you so much for the info. my husband and i bought an internet 2 night stay for about 350 with one activity each. we have to use it before early june so we are trying to go first wkend in may. its a long drive from ny so we must be crazy for 2 days but it sounded so nice.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
5. Re: places to eat

It's nice and very pretty. Lots of color and pattern in the carpets, walls, drapes, upholstery. Never could take a bad picture.

See if you can go to tea. A very nice setting. Seems to be over sort of quickly but a nice experience, nice little bakery items to eat.

The shops are fun to walk around in. Sort of like an avenue. My daughter got me started on Brighton products and there's a store there. Clothing and lotions and all kinds of things to bring back memories when you get them home.

I liked just walking around. My favorite areas are the Washington Library and the rooms sort of directly across the hall which make great spots for small meetings or a shower.

The great hall alone is fabulous. There is a newer section on the back but we always just stay in the historic parts.

Careful driving on the mountain roads if you're not used to them. Have a great time.

New York City, New...
6. Re: places to eat

I love Brighton and i dont have any!! i just admire it from afar. that will be my souvineer!! tea sounds perfect while my husband golfs. thank you, i am so excited now.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
7. Re: places to eat

You will be coming down I 81 a lot. It's a beautiful drive between two mountain ranges. Some farms along the way too...amazing to actually see cows by the highway and picturesque barns and little farmhouses. And yet it goes fast because it's an interstate and not the Blue Ridge Parkway.

New York City, New...
8. Re: places to eat

if we dont eat in the main dine room will we need "nice" clothes like a jacket ect. we will probably just eat in the casual places.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
9. Re: places to eat

A jacket is required in the Main Dining Room and 1776 Grille. You'll see people in business casual and resort casual. The old style preppy look is always safe...some version of khakis and polo shirt or collared shirt for men, blouse for women. It is said they discourage people in jeans in the Great Hall in the evening...but I've never seen anyone say anything. It wasn't too long ago that there was advice for men not to wear even a nice sweater in the evenings in the Great Hall...had to be a jacket. But that seems to have passed.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
10. Re: places to eat

Keep the weather in mind too. It's close to freezing there tonight...but I think it is up your way too. It will be warmer as you go south but it will get cooler as you climb the mountains.

Reply to: places to eat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted