We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to the Homestead in September

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Piscataway, New...
reviews: 72
Trip to the Homestead in September

I will be attending a business conference at the Homestead in Mid- September'08, I would appreciate any info on the area: things to do/places to visit off property. Perhaps nearby towns for shopping/ dining etc; Thanks in advance

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: Trip to the Homestead in September

Love The Homestead. There's a ton of things to do onsite...golf, clay shooting and other types of shooting, falconry, bowling, the mineral pool, the spa. There are Homestead led hikes of the wonderful areas surrounding.

Good shops indoors, little cafe where you can order and I love the sound of the screen door when we go on out to the veranda to munch and sip.

You can walk out the sort of back door by the spa to be right across the street from the little town. Some cute stores, a restaurant in town connected with The Homestead, Snead's Tavern.

Duck in Deli and Market was I believe where we actually got a Subway sandwich.

Dopn't know how far you want to venture.

Want to rent a boat at Lake Moomaw or visit Douthat, a Va. State Park? Douthat was named one of the nation's ten best family vacation spots by Outside Magazine. It's actually on the National REgister of Historic Places. 50 acres lake. 40 miles of hiking trails in the Allegheny Mts. www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/dou.shtml

The Nature Conservancy's Warm Springs Mountain Preserve is not far. A little over 9,000 acres. Hiking, great views, raptors, bear, bobcat...they'll tell you to stay on the trail:) It's in the Allegheny Highlands by a National Forest and Homestead property. The Jefferson Pools are up that way. We like the Pools and the hotel pool, even the water in the bathrooms. We've had good experience with it 'healing what ails ya" nature.org/wherewework/…art19806.html

Along the main drag on Rt. 220 in Hot Springs and Warm Springs there are several art and artisan galleries, antiques, quilts.

How about the Garth Newel Music Center on Rt. 220 in Warm Springs. They have Chamber Music performances during the summer, but also do Jazz, etc. at events. Don't know what their Sept. events are but you could look them up here: http://www.garthnewel.org/

Well, that's a start:)

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
2. Re: Trip to the Homestead in September

PS go to the Virginia Forum and in that little empty box on top of the post type in the word Homestead and you'll get four pages of previous posts which you can look at by relevancy or date. I have a lot of comments there too.

You can do the same word search for Hot Springs, which I just noticed has 3 pages. Try Warm Springs too.

Piscataway, New...
3. Re: Trip to the Homestead in September

Many thanks, Explorer3

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
4. Re: Trip to the Homestead in September

Luvtravel, did you ever decide on a place for your Virginia Beach vacation? Excited to hear how it all went. Let us know when you have time on the VB forum.

Piscataway, New...
5. Re: Trip to the Homestead in September

We actualy returned from our trip on the 16th of July, stayed in Newport News at the Hampton Inn& Suites, for 12 nights ; took several day trips to VB, and visited Busch gardens/ Water country/ Kings Dominion/ Virginia living Musuem. We had a great time, Children had lots of Fun; they are theme park fanatics and love hanging out in VB. They want to return to Kings Dominion. We spent a lot of time in Williamsburg and VB, as traffic was really not that bad, except for the July 4th Holiday( Which we expected). We really love the Hampton Roads area, and will visit again.

6. Re: Trip to the Homestead in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, October 03, 2009