We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wayworn Pet Resort Report

Which Harrisonburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Key West, Florida
reviews: 78
Wayworn Pet Resort Report

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, this property does not meet our listing criteria and therefore, we cannot publish your review. For more information on property listing requirements, please visit this page:

www.tripadvisor.com/pages/getlisted.html

You are welcome to post your review instead on the TripAdvisor Forums (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome). Forums is a discussion board in which members ask and answer as many travel-related questions as they like, share opinions and get travel help from fellow members.

Best regards,

TripAdvisor Support Team

------original review-------

Subject: Wayworn Pet Resort, McGaheysville, VA

Location: McGaheysville, Virginia, United States, North America

Title: Wayworn...never again!

ID#: 6570298

My dog stayed here January 6th to January 7th 2007.

First of all, I am writing this review as a biased pet-owner. We are completely attached to our dog...yes, he sleeps with us. So with that said, I will attempt a solid review of our experience.

I called ahead to ask what the "conditions" would be like for my dog and also what type of interaction with other dogs was available. I was told that he would be "out with us and other small dogs in front" but at night he would be in a kennel. Uh-OK but I wondered how long was "night." Next, the woman asked me if my pet had all his shots including a Bordetella annually and told me I would have to bring proof with me-this made me feel semi-OK. Since they did not have a website I did not really know what the place looked like.

This is the closest place to the Massanutten Resort so I made a reservation for my pet to stay two complete days and nights.

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon as scheduled and then immediately were greeted by two giant Bull Mastiffs barking and growling from behind a 4-foot wooden fence - very scary! I carried my 9 lb Maltese/Havanese into the "resort." I quickly found out what "resort" means in McGaheysville....

Just so you know, this is NOT a pet resort. It is a boarding kennel where your pet will be in a kennel except a couple times a day. Yes, even after my shock at seeing other small dogs obviously caged (albeit humanely and pretty clean I might add) I decided to leave my dog. I filled out an almost illegible form and was never asked to show my shot records. I brought my own food, bowls and bedding then explained his feeding habits to the woman who was only half paying attention. I had to leave right away. Still, I reminded myself that it looked clean and well kept.

The next day when we returned to visit it was obvious that our dog was not let out of his cage for any length of time. He was very lethargic and scared but still happy to see us. He smelled and looked and felt like he had been laying in his urine all night and his cage was cleaned up for visiting hours - his coat could not be cleaned so easily. We were only there to "visit." After getting him into the car, we decided not to put him back for the second night. We paid for one night and left. The owners were not even slightly concerned that we were unhappy with the care given versus the care advertised.

Even though I would never leave my dog there again - the larger dogs, who were kept in outside areas, seemed to be doing fine. The place was as clean as it could be and the owners were knowledgable animal friendly people - that just do not "pamper" pets the way I wanted my dog pampered.

Ashburn,VA
1. Re: Wayworn Pet Resort Report

Thank you so much for writing you review. I have two miniature pinschers and am trying to find the best place to keep them for the duration of our stay at Massanutten. The concierge recommended this place but they do not have a website and no one is answering the phone.

I am nervous about leaving them and jearing your experience I will definitely look elsewhere for accomodations for my dogs.

Thanks again.

New Jersey
2. Re: Wayworn Pet Resort Report

Did you ever find a good kennel close to Mass. Resort?

McGayhesville
3. Re: Wayworn Pet Resort Report

Our family has been boarding out two dogs at Wayworn for the past five years. We have been very happy with the care and atention given to our dogs. Thus far we have had no major problems and we feel comfortable leaving our pets there. We live in Massanutten, so we are regulars at Wayworn. The price is reasonable and it is kept clean. There is a large fenced in area for your pet to run and play. As far as personal attention, I don't expect my pets to be treated above and beyond any other pet staying at the resort. I realize there are many animals there and they all get attention. Maybe not every minute of the day, but let's be reasonable. As for smell, it's a kennel. Duh! Dogs smell like dogs no matter what. Even after I give my dogs a bath they still smell like dogs. Also, a suggestion: if you have any instructions or concerns, write them down. The owner keeps the paper at the pet's kennel so all the employees can see it. Make it clear and in marker so it's easy to read. You can bring your own food or they can supply it, but the price will vary accordingly. If you would like your pet to recieve a bath before pick up just let them know upon dropping your pet off. There is a charge, of course. I hope this helps to alleviate some doubts and fears about Wayworn. If you're a visitor to Massanutten, this kennel is VERY close. If you're not a real fussy person with your pet, then I believe you'll be happy with Wayworn.

virginia
4. Re: Wayworn Pet Resort Report

I cannot recommend Wayworn Kennels high enough for their competence and attention to detail Wayworn Kennels is the most dedicated and consciences kennel I have ever entrusted my Irish Setter to for safety. They are located near a premier resort setting outside Harrisonburg. This provides a country setting and more pet exercise space then usual. This is not an institutional setting of detached employees working for a paycheck. The staff is well trained and insisted on good and proper hygiene for my setter. I followed up with a full grooming session that was profession, thorough and very reasonable for the work done. Mgr Vicki Shambley ensures each animal receives personal attention to maintain physical and mental health. As an aside, Wayworn is responsible for reuniting pets with their owners while using their own resources.

Seaford, NY
5. Re: Wayworn Pet Resort Report

Hi Everyone,

I too have been doing some research and have found some kennels without websites, who also do not answer their phones. I will be staying at the Massanutten Resort in McGaheysville in Virginia, Eagle Trace. I found a few lovely places but they are not too close. Here are the best places:

The Pet Resort at Greensprings. They are in Williamsburg. Their website is: Williamsburgpetresort.com Fax is: 757-220-0094.

Also: Creature Comfort In at 1937 Millner Rd. in Strasburg, VA 22657. Website: CreatureComfortinn.net

Also this is a great place. It is not a kennel. It is a farm where the dogs can run lose and sleep in the house with the owners. It is three hours from the Massanutten Resorts. The name is called: Dancing Creek Farm. 434-685-1673. Call Tamara.

I have two puppies and they have never been away from me. I have a puggle 11 months old and a Boston Terrier 5 1/2 months old.

Be blessed and I hope you check these places out and find some peace.

Miriam Tierno

Maryland
6. Re: Wayworn Pet Resort Report

We have two small yorkies and have left them at Wayworn several times. We have been very pleased with the facility and the help. Sure I want my boys to babied but reality is they are quested and I feel well taken care it in this facility

We own a timeshare Massanuten so plan on using this facility each year. Hope this helps those that are concerned. Christine

Shenandoah Valley
7. Re: Wayworn Pet Resort Report

We live locally and use this pet boarding establishment whenever we are away. We have an epileptic dog that needs medicine every 12 hours and have never had a problem. You just need to have instructions as well as emergency numbers if something is to actually go wrong. (Nothing ever has). The owner is a definite dog lover, was even willing to give her an emergency med in case of seizure (rectal syringe). Never came to that, but I felt secure that she was more than willing to help my dog if need be. I definitely recommend this place above most other pet boarders. Just make sure you have instructions and reserve ahead of time.

8. Re: Wayworn Pet Resort Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 05, 2010