We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton to Richmond for an early flight.

Which Hampton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 372
Hampton to Richmond for an early flight.

I'm toying with the idea of catching an 6:30 AM flight from Richmond. I reckon I would have to leave Hampton about 4:15 AM to get to the Richmond airport by 5:30. Looking for info on traffic (general patterns; I know traffic is like the weather, no way to predict specifics) and to see if this is a realistic plan. My other option is a 3:00 PM flight.

Note, I usually fly in/out of Norflok when coming to Hampton (business in the area), but these are connecting flights usually through Dulles and that has been a disaster the past couple of trips. Just trying an alternate route for this trip.

Thanks,

OH

3 replies to this topic
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 44
1. Re: Hampton to Richmond for an early flight.

At that hour traffic won't be a problem. However, anymore being at the airport only an hour in advance is risky.

2. Re: Hampton to Richmond for an early flight.

It is a realistic plan, but I would leave by 4 just to be safe.

The thing to be aware of is possible overnight roadwork. They have been doing overnight paving on I-64 westbound. I'm not sure if it is complete.

In theory, you can call 511 for current road conditions. I have never had much luck getting current info from 511. They have a va511 mobile app too, but I haven't used it.

Allow yourself a little extra time and you should be fine.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 372
3. Re: Hampton to Richmond for an early flight.

Thanks Wendy and zoom. Sounds doable. I'm still waiting to hear about the travel plans for the rest of the team to see if the early flight will fit into the overall scheme, but it is at least an option.

Reply to: Hampton to Richmond for an early flight.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hampton