We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt House Falls Church for DC visit?

Which Falls Church hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shippensburg...
Hyatt House Falls Church for DC visit?

Planning a visit to DC in mid-April (11th - 14th). Looking at the Hyatt House in Falls Church. Nice looking property with excellent rates and reviews. Does anyone know about this property and its proximity to a metro station? We are trying to be as economical as possible and hotels in downtown DC are very expensive. My wife and I do not mind being outside the city and plan on doing the museums, monuments, and maybe a Nationals game on Friday night. Is this a reasonable idea and will the metro still be operating after a night baseball game? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
1. Re: Hyatt House Falls Church for DC visit?

First this hotel is NOT in Falls Church. It is in Merrifield, which is outside the Beltway. The map that displays on the Trip Advisor review page is flat out wrong -- put 8296 Glass Alley, **FAIRFAX**, VA 22031 into Google Maps instead to see where it is located.

The hotel is only a few months old, and is in an upscale new shopping district called the Merrifield Mosaic district. It has a number of good places to eat, and shop, but is otherwise an island of new development in an older commercial / residental / light industrial area. I've never been inside but have walked past it when shopping in the development, and it looks quite nice, but it is next to a major road and I'd wonder about traffic noise.

It is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Dunn Loring Metro on the Orange Line (Google says .8 miles), through a generally safe area. Late at night my guess is it will feel empty, but you are walking along major roads (Gallows Road to Lee Highway) so you should be OK. Once on the Metro you are looking at about a 30 minute ride to downtown; probably 50 to 60 minutes from Nats Park as you'll need to change trains at L'Enfant Plaza from the Orange Line to the Green Line. On Friday and Saturday nights the trains run until 2 AM, so you should be OK unless the game goes heavily into extra innings.

In terms of whether you should do this, you are going to be spending a great deal of time getting to and from your hotel, and not seeing the many things you want to see. I understand that budget restrictions may not give you many options, but if it were me I'd try to find a hotel closer to all the sites that fits my budget, even if it is older or has fewer amenities. What rate have you found for your nights? I'm happy to take a look and see what alternatives might exist in neighborhoods that are generally regarded as better options for tourists.

Shippensburg...
2. Re: Hyatt House Falls Church for DC visit?

Thank you so much for your quick response. The rate is $76 per night with free parking. My wife and I are in our mid-50s and in good health. Looking to arrive from the Harrisburg, Pa. area late afternoon on Thu. April 11 and departing Sun. April 14. Max price for a room would be in the $100 range, so that really limits our choices, I know. Trying to balance the cost of the metro per ride with the time spent going to and fro. It seems that parking is very expensive the closer you get to the city, which is understandable. We really don't mind the ride on the metro as long as it is safe, which I understand it to be. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 93
3. Re: Hyatt House Falls Church for DC visit?

The Americana Hotel in Arlington is having a 50th Anniversary special now with room rates at $63 per night. I just checked and they have rooms with either a queen or a king bed for $63 for the nights you have given. This is an older property in the Crystal City area (a nice, safe place) in Arlington, VA. You are an easy walk to two Metro stations and it's a quick ride into D.C. (For example, the ride from Crystal City Metro to the Smithsonian Station is 15 minutes; the ride from Dunn Loring Metro to Smithsonian is around 30 minutes.) The Americana Hotel also provides free parking and a free continental breakfast. I would choose Crystal City over Merrifield ANY day.

After you read some of the reviews of the Americana Hotel here on TA, you'll probably want to jump on this deal.

Edited: 10:30 pm, March 25, 2013
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
4. Re: Hyatt House Falls Church for DC visit?

At your price point you are right that you aren't going to have many alternatives during April, which is peak tourist season. I agree with Longhorn that the Americana is worth exploring. It is significantly older than the Hyatt, and in a location that feels quite urban, but it is far closer to all the tourist sites and so should cut down your travel time and your Metro budget. If you aren't picky about amenities I'd seriously consider it.

Shippensburg...
5. Re: Hyatt House Falls Church for DC visit?

Thanks, everyone, for your quick responses and suggestions. Will definitely take a look at the Americana. Just looking for a clean, comfortable room. No frills needed. Looking forward to our trip. Thanks again.

Reply to: Hyatt House Falls Church for DC visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Falls Church