We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic driving from Fairfax to Harrisonburg

Which Fairfax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Traffic driving from Fairfax to Harrisonburg

We will be visiting George Mason University on a Wednesday, and late in the afternoon leaving to drive to Harrisburg. What can I expect the traffic to be like on that route? Google maps shows it to be a little less than two hour drive which is fine, but if traffic extends it much longer, we map opt to make the trip the next morning.

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Ruckersville...
reviews: 74
1. Re: Traffic driving from Fairfax to Harrisonburg

If you are traveling via I-66 to I-81, the heaviest traffic will be between Fairfax and Front Royal. Traffic will be moderate when you get to I-81 south to go to Harrisonburg. Have a good trip.

Columbia, Maryland
reviews: 4
2. Re: Traffic driving from Fairfax to Harrisonburg

Late on a Wednesday afternoon the traffic will be very heavy going out Interstate 66. Count on adding at least an hour to the trip. If there is an accident........ who knows? It will be th same if you try 50 or 29 as well.

In the AM the traffic is going the other way.

Edited: 10:46 am, March 19, 2014
Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 99
3. Re: Traffic driving from Fairfax to Harrisonburg

Also, be aware that I-81 is well-known for the great number of semi-trailers that drive this route.

Columbia, Maryland
reviews: 4
4. Re: Traffic driving from Fairfax to Harrisonburg

"Also, be aware that I-81 is well-known for the great number of semi-trailers that drive this route."

I see that comment quite often about I-81. But I find the drive much less stressful than I-95.

Boston...
5. Re: Traffic driving from Fairfax to Harrisonburg

Thanks for the information. I think we will stay in Fairfax and get an early start the next morning.

Virginia, USA
reviews: 25
6. Re: Traffic driving from Fairfax to Harrisonburg

Going from Fairfax on 66 to reach 81 to go to Harrisburg, is way out of the way. We usually travelled North on rt 15 out of Leesburg, thru Frederick, MD - continuing on 15 to just south of Harrisburg, where the directions will depend on your destination. Mapquest says it's 2 hours from Fairfax going the beltway and I270. It could take two hours just to get to I270. Between Leesburg and Frederick the road is mostly 2 lane, but it is a lovely drive thru the Virginia country side. I'd allow at least 3 hours. You never know about traffic in Northern Virginia no matter which way you are going.

Reply to: Traffic driving from Fairfax to Harrisonburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted