We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need To Know Exactly Where Recent Flooding Occured

Which Fairfax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Need To Know Exactly Where Recent Flooding Occured

I would like to know if Clifton Virginia was involved in the recent flooding?

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: Need To Know Exactly Where Recent Flooding Occured

What a great place...Heart in Hand, the Hermitage, the country store where one might find horse manure or jags in the parking area, little antique/gift shops, village with historic homes...all just considered nice when we lived there but not fully appreciated in those days.

I thought the flooding was more the end of June? Mostly Huntington area? It's all that Wilson Bridge mess they are saying since it hadn't happened before like this. Not that Huntington is happy yet...lots of damage to collect on, lots of explanation needed. There's thought that the building of the bridge destroyed wetlands, hence the flooding, other thoughts as well.

It's usually not the very wide and very deep rivers that flood, since they have so much area to expand into, but the creeks - that, by nature, have no place to put the quickly filling water except to have it overflow and that's what happened in the Huntington area.

I did hear the creek overflowed on Pope's Head in Clifton and the old Masonic Lodge got water but I haven't heard from friends and family that it was that terribly big a deal in Clifton itself as a whole.

Fairfax County is huge, remember, the largest county in the DC area, both in and outside the Beltway. It's got about 253,000 acres with a population of 1,042,000 in '05. It sort of wraps in a kind of loose crescent shape, sort of (, and the area with the big damage is in the back of the bottom of the crescent.

Are you actually staying in Clifton? Or nearby? I can see if a friend might be able to drive by a hotel or something.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 22
2. Re: Need To Know Exactly Where Recent Flooding Occured

I was just there last week (soon after all the rain) and did not notice anything particularly problematic. Businesses were open and did not seem to be affected by the flooding. Of course, I can't speak for every home or business...

3. Re: Need To Know Exactly Where Recent Flooding Occured

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 15, 2009