We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic

Which Dulles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 4
Traffic

My wife and I are flying out of Dulles at 6:40 in the evening on Thursday the 19th. Of September. We will be coming from the south, on I-66. How is the traffic and how much time should I allow for it? I would like to be in the airport by 4:40.

Thanks for any advice!

8 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 90
1. Re: Traffic

It would really help to know exactly where you are coming from. (I-66 runs East-West, so I'm not sure what you mean about coming from the South on I-66)

If you are coming from the D.C. area, then you will be in the midst of rush hour traffic, at least until you reach the Dulles Access Road which is restricted to vehicles going to Dulles Airport and doesn't encounter a lot of traffic.

Virginia
2. Re: Traffic

I'm sorry... I should have said coming from the west. ( I live south of Charlottesville)

Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 90
3. Re: Traffic

I'll admit I have not driven that direction to Dulles, but you will be going against any rush hour traffic on I-66 if you plan to be at Dulles by 4:40 pm, so that's good. I can't foresee any particular problems with traffic, but if you tune to radio station WTOP (103.5 FM), they report the traffic every 10 minutes "on the 8's", i.e. :08, :18, :28, :38, :48, :58 after the hour. It should give you a heads-up to traffic conditions as you approach the D.C. area.

Virginia
4. Re: Traffic

Thanks for getting back with me.Thats good to know.

Thanks again!

reviews: 54
5. Re: Traffic

You can check website 511Virginia.org before getting on the road, or dial 511 on your cell phone sms put in the highway you want information about. You can check the day before to see if there will be any road maintenance going on, check day of and during your travel to see if there are any accidents or traffic problems.

Virginia
6. Re: Traffic

Great...Thank you!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC, Topsail Beach
reviews: 44
7. Re: Traffic

You will probably want to do this route:

29 north and get on 28 east towards Manassas. Just before Manassas, get onto Route 234 Bypass north to 66, and head East to 28 again, take north to Dulles Airport. You will be going against traffic, and you shouldn't encounter any problems.

Some may suggest you do 29 through Warrenton and hook up with 66 in Gainesville, but I will advise against that because there is a HUGE road construction project going on to re-route the road over the train tracks, and there are still problems. A truck hit a train just a few weeks ago, and the entire area was a nightmare, and I think it was on a Saturday if I recall. Bottom line, avoid it, especially since you are trying to catch a flight.

Plan on 3 hours from Charlottesville so you don't feel rushed and will have wiggle room for any minor delays. You may encounter some slow traffic from the Chantilly area up 28 to Dulles, as you will be going with some rush-hour flow, but you shouldn't find it too bad.

Virginia
8. Re: Traffic

Thanks everybody!

When I was looking at the 511virginia.org, I also found they have a pretty nice app for smartphones!

Thanks again.

Reply to: Traffic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted