We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car off airport site possible?

Which Dulles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NoCal
reviews: 63
rental car off airport site possible?

planning a trip, flying into IAD and was thinking about renting a car off airport site in Sterling, VA which saves me $75 just for three days. Would a taxi from IAD just go less than 2 miles from the airport, or is there a flat fee? I figure the driver would be pissed waiting in line for hours to get a cheap $6 fare. Other option is to take a hotel shuttle to the Doubletree and get a cab from there? Off site rental office closes at 6pm and the flight touches down at 4pm. This is all carry-on.

4 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 29
1. Re: rental car off airport site possible?

The Washington Flyer taxi will take you wherever you ask, but you are right that they are unlikely to be happy about such a short trip. One way to overcome that would be to tip them what you might have tipped them on a longer ride, as tips make up a big chunk of their income. Tipping $5-$8 on a $6 fare is a good return for them, as they get back to the airport quickly, and you still save on the rental.

NoCal
reviews: 63
2. Re: rental car off airport site possible?

I was thinking staying in Sterling, taking a hotel shuttle from IAD, calling the off site rental office for pickup once I'm at the hotel. Talk about cheap, huh?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 29
3. Re: rental car off airport site possible?

That works too. Not all hotels in Sterling will offer shuttles, but if you find a hotel that does offer one, and you confirm the rental car company will pick you up there, then your plan should work.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 102
4. Re: rental car off airport site possible?

The Courtyard Dulles Town Center is in Sterling, and has a complimentary airport shuttle for guests.

marriott.com/hotels/travel/iadtc-courtyard-d…

Within walking distance of the property is the Dulles Town Center Mall, plenty of restaurants, and Avis rental car (on google maps, it is inside the Sears auto center). Avis is walking distance from the hotel.

Reply to: rental car off airport site possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted