We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dulles Access Road vs Dulles Toll Road

Which Dulles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 24
Dulles Access Road vs Dulles Toll Road

Leaving IAD it appears that Dulles Access Rd. and Dulles Toll Road are closely hitched. Is it easy to distinguish between the two? I want to make sure I get onto Toll Road so I can later exit onto VA-684/Spring Hill Rd. Thanks for any heads up.

4 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
1. Re: Dulles Access Road vs Dulles Toll Road

Yes, it's easy to distinguish. And try to get onto the Access Road when you first leave the airport as it will let you avoid the toll plaza at Route 28. Once you're on the Access Road and have gotten past Route 28, there are one or two cut-overs to the toll road that are well marked. Take any of those to the toll lanes, as you won't encounter another toll plaza until you get to Spring Hill.

Just make sure that as you approach Spring Hill, you stay all the way to the right as it can be easy to get caught up in traffic for the toll plaza on the main lanes.

Ohio
2. Re: Dulles Access Road vs Dulles Toll Road

Thank you so much for your insight and bolstering my confidence. I was on Google Maps and switched over to the "live" view or whatever and actually found a video .... so now I have a mental picture of the Access Road in the middle with Toll Road lanes off to right. Plus, gotta love that the satellite version only shows a few cars traveling along making it appear as it's just a lazy drive but I KNOW BETTER. :) Hope it won't be too crazy. Yes, zooming in on Google Maps I know where the exits are .....

Ashburn, Virginia
reviews: 58
3. Re: Dulles Access Road vs Dulles Toll Road

There are 2 great things about the access road, which you can only access from the airport. No toll, and typically very light traffic, since it is only cars coming from the airport! the regular toll road might be very slow, but the access road should be moving just fine! Keep in mind this road is also called, and regularly labeled, 267.

Ohio
4. Re: Dulles Access Road vs Dulles Toll Road

Yep, Yep, Yep .... saw that Access Road but so much action going on once we left rental lot (Friday @ 5 pm) we were unable to access the Access Road. Pulled up to an immediate toll collection post and sat there stupified. Sure - here's .75 and hoped for the best once I made my way to Spring Hill exit - which we were able to do. Thanks and SUPER EASY when I had to make my way back to Dulles.

Reply to: Dulles Access Road vs Dulles Toll Road
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted