We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night only (IAD Overnight layover) - 3 choices

Which Dulles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 225
One night only (IAD Overnight layover) - 3 choices

Hello, forum helpers. Unfortunately we've had some change in flights, and it looks like we'll need to spend a night near the Dulles IAD airport. I'm having trouble determining where to stay. We get in about 9pm and fly out again at 8am the next morning, so only really need somewhere to watch TV, shower, and sleep. We will NOT have a rental car with us so we'll need a really reliable, frequent shuttle to-and-from the airport. Family of 4 travelling, kids are 12 and 15. I have been searching on maps, this site, and other sites to determine a lodging choice for that evening. I would love some advice! There is the Washington Dulles Airport Marriot, which seems to be the closest, but doesn't have wireless internet in the rooms and even charges (according to their website) for wired. Though perhaps that is the safest just because it is close. I am also looking at 2 in Herndon which are the same price as the Airport Marriott - the Hampton Inn Herndon-Reston and the Holiday Inn Express Reston-Herndon as well. However, they are both about a 10 minute drive away (with on-request shuttles, which make me a little nervous). Does anyone have a favourite Washington Dulles IAD hotel they could recommend that has a very reliable shuttle, but also is value-priced considering we are only there for less than 12 hours and most of that time will be sleeping?

4 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
1. Re: One night only (IAD Overnight layover) - 3 choices

What night are you staying? Rates vary significantly by date, so it's hard to suggest alternatives without knowing if they're going to be in the ballpark of what you've found.

The Marriott certainly is the easiest hotel of the three -- it's on airport grounds, and will give you certainty in the morning. But they know how good they have it, so you often pay a premium (including on things like internet).

Both of the other two review very well on Trip Advisor, and are located in reasonably convenient locations off airport grounds. While you may have to wait a bit longer for their shuttles to come get you when you arrive, I'd expect that the return trip in the morning can be arranged the night prior (you'll want to call and make sure they start running early enough to fit your needs). Traffic shouldn't be an issue getting back to the airport at the time you'll leave.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 225
2. Re: One night only (IAD Overnight layover) - 3 choices

Thanks, warthog! At this point, rates are all the same - in the $89.00 night area which is quite reasonable. It would be for a Saturday night, Jan. 7th, on our way home from a Florida trip. I know, I saw the internet charge for the Marriott and balked a bit - travelling with 2 teens means internet access (or, should I say, free internet access) is pretty important.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
3. Re: One night only (IAD Overnight layover) - 3 choices

I'd suggest you keep checking rates as you get a bit closer. You may be able to get one of these hotels or a comparable one near the airport for $20-$25 less with luck. But even for $89 any of them should suit your needs.

Virginia
reviews: 37
4. Re: One night only (IAD Overnight layover) - 3 choices

Herndon is quite close to the airport and either of those other hotels would work fine. (We like the breakfast buffet better at Hamptons). Too bad you can't have the day at Dulles, you might also be able to take the shuttle from your hotel over to the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum. Your teens might enjoy it. Oh well, maybe next time.

Reply to: One night only (IAD Overnight layover) - 3 choices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted