We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels Near Dulles Airport That Have Tour Desks

Which Dulles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 2
Hotels Near Dulles Airport That Have Tour Desks

My husband and I, both senior citizens, are flying into Dulles the evening of March 23. We do not want to rent a car so are looking for a nearby hotel, preferably with a complimentary shuttle, that has a tour desk where we could arrange day trips to Monticello, Mt. Vernon, etc. We will be meeting up with our daughter's family at the convention center Embassy Suites in Washington, DC, on March 28 and plan on "doing" Washington with them March 29 through April 1 and then flying home on April 2. Any suggestions as to where to stay or make day trip arrangements before we meet up with them would be very much appreciated!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 37
1. Re: Hotels Near Dulles Airport That Have Tour Desks

Unfortunately Dulles is far outside of Washington, and so the hotels around the airport tend to cater to people flying in / out of the airport and business travelers visiting the many companies in the Dulles tech cooridor. I am not aware of any with tour desks that would run regular tours to destinations like Mount Vernon (about an hour's drive from Dulles on most days due to traffic) and Monticello (about 2.5 hours from Dulles). The only thing worth visiting that is close to Dulles is the Udvar-Hazy Smithsonian Air & Space Museum annex, which is on airport grounds and has on display things like a space shuttle, concorde, and SR-71 spy plane.

If I had to guess, your best chance for a hotel near the airport that meets your needs might be at either the Dulles Hyatt or the Westfields Marriott, which are two of the more upscale hotels near the airport. I'd call them directly to ask about whether what they offer in the way of tours will fit your needs.

A better plan may be to give up on the free shuttle idea, and pay for a taxi into (or near) the city when you arrive. There are many, many tourist-oriented hotels closer to Washington. Search on the Washington, D.C. forum and odds are you can find one to fit what you want.

California
reviews: 2
2. Re: Hotels Near Dulles Airport That Have Tour Desks

Thank you for your prompt reply. I took your advice and booked a hotel in the city.

3. Re: Hotels Near Dulles Airport That Have Tour Desks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:36 am, September 05, 2010