We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route to get to dulles arprt from central PA on dec 23

Which Dulles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
reviews: 42
best route to get to dulles arprt from central PA on dec 23

Hi,

I'm driving from Harrisburg PA to pick up a family member arriving at IAD on an international flight at 3pm. I'm guessing that if there are no delays, by the time they make it through customs it will be around 4pm.

I'm assuming taking the highway---83 south to 95/495/267 could be a headache as I'm told traffic is always bad in those areas.

My other option is to take highway 15 to Leesburg, and once in that area, I can either take hwy 7 or 267. Which of these 2 is the best alternative?

thanks in advance for any tips!

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 5
1. Re: best route to get to dulles arprt from central PA on dec 23

RT 15 is a far better option. There are a few traffic lights, but there is very little traffic, and there are a few stretches where the speed limit is 65. I always take that route whenever possible when going from Northern Va. to Central Pa. Anything you can do to stay of the Capitol beltway will relieve you of a lot of stress.

Washington DC...
reviews: 50
2. Re: best route to get to dulles arprt from central PA on dec 23

Yep, make your way over to route 15 then down to Leesburg. From there, you can hop on the Dulles Greenway, which is a toll road, but a nice easy shot from Leesburg right north of Dulles.

Ivyland...
reviews: 16
3. Re: best route to get to dulles arprt from central PA on dec 23

Given the time you are trying to arrive, I would suggest US 15 all the way to Leesburg where you pick up the Dulles Greenway and take that to Dulles.

If you were driving in at an off traffic time, I would take US 15 to I-270 to I-495 and then take Dulles Access Road to the airport.

But given the time you are arriving take US 15 south and the Dulles Greenway east as the others have suggested. I have driven both routes many times over the past 20 years or so. US 15 is a much better road than it used to be and of course the Dulles Greenway was added in that time as well. Be careful of speed traps between Emmitsburg and Frederick in Maryland. It slows down a bit in Virginia when it becomes a two lane road, hence if traffic wasn't a concern the other route is better and faster when traffic isn't an issue.

florida
reviews: 42
4. Re: best route to get to dulles arprt from central PA on dec 23

thanks for the tip on the speedtraps! those are a pain for sure!

5. Re: best route to get to dulles arprt from central PA on dec 23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 20, 2010