We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

Which Dulles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
reviews: 52
10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

Hello.

I am going to spend some hours at Dulles. Arriving at 7AM and leaving at 5PM.

I need to go to Potomac Mills shopping center so was thinking about

- leaving the airport

- picking one courtesy bus to rental car agency (any agencies on the airport or do I still need to take the bus to their premises?)

- take the car to the hotel, check in, shower, leave bags

- take off to Potomac Mills (opens at 10AM I guess)

- return to hotel, pack and go.

Any suggestions as to:

- fastest "pick and go" car rental agency?

- reasonable hotel nearby Dulles? Less than USD 120.- (just going to use it for some hours).

Thank you

Washington DC...
1. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

Not to be nosy, but is there a specific thing you are going to Potomac Mills for, or are you just looking for outlet shopping?

If you are just looking for outlet shopping-there is one that is closer (and nicer IMO) to Dulles; Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets.

Not sure where rental companies are in Dulles terminal (never rented a car there-no need) but I do know that their lots are off-site, typical with most airports.

Hotel options are going to be endless. If you have a rental car-you could go just about anywhere between A and B and find hotels of various costs. Chantilly area would be a good spot to find a reasonably priced hotel between Dulles and Potomac Mills.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 15
2. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

There's also hotels around Potomac Mills since people stay overnight and shop for a couple of days.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
3. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

Like a lot of big airports, Dulles shuttles you to the car rental. Here's a list of the ones they have there:

visitingdc.com/airport/dulles-airport-car-re…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 37
4. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

Once upon a time the Marriott on the Dulles Airport Grounds had day rates, that let you check in early in the morning and check out before their overnight guests arrive. I'd call them directly and ask if they still do.

Also, if you don't want to sleep, just get cleaned up, you could see if one of the hotels between Dulles and Potomac Mills, for example the Westfields Marriott, will sell you a day pass to use their spa. You can check your bags at their bell desk, get cleaned up in the spa, and I'd guess only pay $30 +/- for spa access. If you are going the outlet mall in Leesburg, you could try the Lansdowne Resort. There is also a Hyatt immediately adjacent to the airport that may have a spa. I've never tried that one.

Washington DC...
5. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

THere is also Claude Moore rec center in Ashburn/Sterling. You can probably pay for a day admission and then you can use their facilities to freshen up.

They have a very nice pool if you wanted a quick swim.

You will have a car-so you can just lock your luggage in the trunk.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
6. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

I would agree with previous postings. Unless there is some really great reason for heading to Potomac Mills, I would forgo that, or else your day will really be rushed and stressful. You would need to give yourself a lot of time to get back to Dulles from Potomac Mills by 5pm. If your travel is on a weekday, you will be in rush hour traffic both in the morning and the evening. A nightmare if you are unfamiliar with the roads here.

Try Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets for outlet shopping. It's in Leesburg -- 15 minutes from Dulles. They have a website that lists their shops.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
7. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

I would too however I realize that when all things historic, natural and otherwise are lumped together, Potomac Mills has long been at the top for tourist attractions in Virginia.

Years ago, when we lived in the DC area we made frequent trips there. I still remember the Cinnabons. Yum. Since they removed them from the NYS Thruway I haven't had them in years. [Funny, all the great stores and I most remember the Cinnabons:)]

Washington DC...
8. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

I went to Potomac Mills about 2 months ago (hadn't been in years) and walked/shopped the whole thing.

I was not impressed. A lot of junk shops-Dollar Store types. We went into Old Navy outlet. It had been wiped out and was a mess. Nordstrom Rack a disaster-but I remember it always being a mess.

Even the food court has gone downhill. It was lacking a variety-and had at least 4 or 5 Chinese/Japanese-style places hawking "bourbon chicken".

I have been in PWCO for 26 years; my HS friends got jobs there. It isn't the same.

The OP has PMed me and has indicated that he/she will be going to Leesburg (did not realize it was there), but for anyone else interested in deciding between the two, I would just look online at the shops offered, and make that your decision.

Dulles
9. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

1. Avis/Budget to rent a car from Dulles Airport. They all will shuttle you to a lot 5 minutes away.

2. Aloft Dulles Airport Hotel www.alofthotels.com/dullesnorth

3. Go to Leesburg Premium Outlet instead of Potomac Mills, this will save you time and let you shop more!

Have fun!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
10. Re: 10 hours in Dulles. Need hotel room + rental car. Any ideas?

jwhiteree, did you change your avatar? cute.

Too bad how things go. What a super place Potomac Mills was...not far from where we lived so it amazed us that people came from all over and actually stayed there in hotels. I remember some of the Laura Ashley stuff we got, a relative's wedding we shopped for, visiting relatives we brought there...in the pre-online shopping days when the real world store was supreme, when people had some money, when designers' reputations were not diluted and when Potomac Mills was an amazing thing.