We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife Loop at the CWR

Which Chincoteague Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johnstown...
reviews: 21
Wildlife Loop at the CWR

I notice that the Wildlife Loop is not opened for vehicles until 3 pm...since we're going to be there earlier in the day and want to see it, I guess we'll be walking it and I'm wondering are there benches or anything along the way where you can sit and rest. My sister, who is disabled, will need to rest along the way. Also is there any place in Chincoteague that has picnic box lunches for purchase...thanks!! We've been to Assateague the Maryland side many times and this will be our first time at CWR any other need to know info you may have will be very appreciative!!

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
reviews: 13
1. Re: Wildlife Loop at the CWR

Hi- There are benches along the loop. The loop (3.25 mi.) is the longest path on the Refuge - there are shorter trails too. The Woodland Trail is 1.5 miles (also has benches) and the trail to the lighthouse is the shortest (1/4 mile). One other note - the island is completely flat, so many people choose to rent bikes and ride through. You can rent a bike at the Refuge Motel which is right next to the entrance of the Refuge. Another possibility depending on the timing of your visit, might be to take a bus tour through the back part of the Refuge. You can sign up for it at the Bateman Center.

As for box lunches - sure! You can get something at J&B's sub shop on Main Street or the Sea Star sandwich shop at it's new location on Maddox, near Chicken City Rd. You also might want to check out Captain Zach's off Maddox on Pension St. for some seafood to go.

Hope you & your sister have fun!

Johnstown...
reviews: 21
2. Re: Wildlife Loop at the CWR

Tina, thank you so much for the info, I really appreciate it!!

3. Re: Wildlife Loop at the CWR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island