We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

Which Chincoteague Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Verona, NJ
Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

I'm considering taking a trip with my family to Chincoteague but was told they get tons of mosquitos. Is this true? Is it worse there than in the surrounding areas?

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
reviews: 13
1. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

Chincoteague & Assateague Islands are both surrounded by salt marshes - ideal breeding grounds for mosquitoes. That said, there are seldom mosquitoes on the beach and if you use bug repellant when you go into the wooded areas, you should be fine. I haven't noticed many at all this summer so far - knock wood!

Salisbury, Maryland
reviews: 73
2. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

My dad always kidded that they were changing the mosquito to the state bird. Their not as bad this year but in a wooded area they'll drive you nuts.

Washington DC
3. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

We have a vacation home here....we joke that we should buy stock in Chincoteague Cologne (aka OFF)

Salisbury, Maryland
reviews: 73
4. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

Nice!!!

West Chester...
reviews: 40
5. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

Not a problem this year with the lack of rain as they usually hatch perhaps a week after a good rain in marshy areas. If you're concerned, try to rent a vacation home either away from marshy areas or close to the water with it's breezes, and with boardwalks so you do not have to walk or grill in the grass. Screened porches are a must.

Pat

West Chester...
6. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

This very dry summer was great = very few bugs.

Depends on the where you are and whether there's been some rain in the last week or 10 days as then the eggs can hatch and time of day .... dusk can be problem.

If you stay away from swampy areas, enjoy screened porches, or sit on raised balconies, or stay near the water as was suggested, there's not usually a problem.

Enjoy your visit!

Rockville, MD
7. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

I just returned from a trip over Labor Day weekend with my girlfriends for a girls weekend getaway. I thought I'd bring back my family back (I have 3 young kids) if we liked it. The bugs were awful, so probably will not be taking them there. Mosquitos were everywhere and extremely agressive. We stayed in the Sunset Bay villas (the condo we stayed at was absolutely wonderful) just off of the Main street in Chincoteague. Mosquitos were awful and bothering us just unloading and loading the car right outside the condo--even used bugspray for this. They were also aggressive in following/attacking/biting us on our hike through the Assateague Island trails. Based on other reviews and knowing the area is a marshland, we expected them there and had all sprayed bugspray (with 30% deet) and they were still awful. So much so that we were unable to enjoy the hikes and didn't feel like we could look for the wildlife on the refuge--we were too busy trying to swat away the bugs. Mosquitoes did not seem to be present on the beach area; however, the biting flies were a constant nuisance. I found that being outside was not enjoyable on our trip. Was planning on spending some time relaxing at the beach and the condo's outdoor pool, but did not. Each of my girlfriends came away from the trip with multiple mosquito bites. Therefore, although it is a beautiful place, I would not recommend as a family vacation because of the bugs.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
8. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

It's too bad that the previous poster came the ONE week that we did have bad, swarming mosquitoes! All summer, really, all summer, there were none. It rained the entire week before Labor Day, including many deluges over the weekend. On Labor Day Monday, I went out to weed my garden (after spraying myself & my clothing) and was unable to stand it for more than 5 minutes. They were awful. After 2 days of the locals begging the town, we heard the welcome, early morning sound of the skeeter plane. After 2 doses and some cooling breezes, they are gone. My entire garden is weeded and I don't have any bites = didn't even have to spray. Sorry Crackzola - timing is every thing and this is the truly the nicest weather ever. You just missed it by one week!

Morristown, New...
9. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

We had our first, and likely last, vacation there from August 5-12, 2012. Mosquitoes were very much worse than we expected. They weren't a problem on the beach, but unfortunately, most of our week was spent off the beach at our rental house. There, we had to fight them off from the moment we opened our car doors. A spray truck came through at one point, and this chased them away for a few hours. But it certainly detracted from what would otherwise have been a good vacation week.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
10. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

Very strange to hear that, since everyone I have spoken to on the island agrees that there were no skeeters at all this summer until Labor Day weekend. Then it was awful. I guess they just like you Bongo Bass!

Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island