We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oysters

Which Chincoteague Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
reviews: 8
Oysters

Reading this forum I can tell that there are a number of good restaurants to choose from in Chincoteague. Can anyone recommend a good place for oysters? Maybe a raw bar on the waterfront? Fresh, local oysters would be ideal!

Thanks!

Scott

1. Re: Oysters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:55 pm, September 13, 2011
Washington DC
2. Re: Oysters

Thanks--kind of a shame, given the location and availability!

Fried oysters can be great if done right but nothing beats raw...I'll call Wrights.

thanks again!

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
reviews: 13
3. Re: Oysters

You can get raw oysters at the deck bar of the Chincoteague Inn. It's a great bar - not someplace I'd go for dinner necessarily, but it's where locals gather for drinks and steamed shrimp or oysters. It's on the bay and you can tie up your boat if you come by water. They usually have music on weekend nights/evenings - I'd suggest you watch for Ron Cole. Nothing beats shrimps and beer listening to Ron and maybe singing along!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
reviews: 48
4. Re: Oysters

We've gotten raw oysters at AJ's and also at Don's, I think. The best is to get them at one of the seafood shops (Ricky Howard's, Gary Howard's, etc.) and take them back to where you are staying to enjoy. With a drop of lemon juice, hot sauce, whatever you like - yum! We got ours (already shucked) at Ricky's, so delicious!

Washington DC
5. Re: Oysters

RacingMoon, Tina, and Zoey, great tips, thanks. Deck bar of the Chincoteague Inn sounds wonderful, as does the Ricky's idea (where is that?). Maybe both? It is kind of a second honeymoon :)

What kind of music does Ron Cole do? I'll google him.

I'm writing these ideas down and we will try to pack as much in as possible in our one day and night (this weekend--I'm psyched!).

As long as we're talking seafood--how are the crabs this season? Can you recommend a good crab house? We could get some drinks and oysters as appetizers then attack some crabs...mmmmmmmmmm.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
6. Re: Oysters

Ricky Howard and his brother Gary both sell freshly caught seafood and will be happy to cook it for you if you need it. The best crabhouse can be your own front porch or a table at the park if you get a mess of crabs steamed by Ricky or Gary. Ricky's located at the corner of Beebe and Main St and Gary is on Deep Hole Road, just past Hallie Whealton Drive. Ron Cole is a local guy who sings around at different watering holes - he plays acoustic guitar and harmonica and sings mostly easy-going deck-bar type songs (you'll know all the words).

Washington DC
7. Re: Oysters

Not sure if the Quality Inn has a front porch but the rest of your info is great! When you say "the park" what are you referring to? That might be a great was to enjoy some crabs and cold beverages, if they are allowed in the park...:)

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
8. Re: Oysters

non-alcoholic beverages are allowed in the park - there are 2 waterfront parks - one on Main Street to the right of the bridge (Robert Reed Park) and another (Memorial Park) on East Side Drive near Ridge Road. They both have picnic tables and Memorial Park also has swings for the kids and restrooms. AND, the Quality Inn does have a picnic area with BBQ grills!

Washington DC
9. Re: Oysters

Tina, thanks again for the info. This is all good to know.

Scott

10. Re: Oysters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 08, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island